• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can anyone help? Absess I think

nemmie

Warren Scout
Hi all,

Jubby and Peanut got into a fight after being reintroduced when Jubby got back from having an op to remove a kidney stone. The poor lil guy had 2 under go 2 anestetics and it was only 6 months ago he had an op for spurs.

There was a scratch, on the inside of his ear near the very end not the canal, from that fight that became infected. It was oozing pus and his entire ear was red so we took him to the vets who said to continue his Baytril (that he was on after his op) for another 10 days and she wanted to see him in 7 days. I was also given hibbi scrub and told to take the scab off the wound twice each day, express the pus and clean with that.

Took him back Monday for his check up and whilst it was not healed and still oozing pus the vet said the ear was less inflamed and that the pus had changed consistancy, a lot more watery and broken pieces of pus rather than thick and gloopy. She said to continue with the cleaning and Baytril and that she would see him again in another 7 days which is Monday.

She has never once said the word absess but from my info gathering on here I believe that's what we are dealing with.

We go away for a month a week on Wed and my father in law looks after him whilst we are gone. He is very good with him but I am concerned for him to administer Baytril and express the pus if needs be. Jubby is lively even at 7 years old.

The vet said the only other option we have is for them to put him under (again which will be 4 times in 6 months 3 being in the last month) and flush the infected wound. I am in two minds to do this since he is getting on anyway and also has had 3 anesetics already in such a short period of time.

Today the wound looks much better and the pus is becoming even more unformed. Extremley watery and bits of pus in it, then when I massage up the ear a little bit more formed pus comes out. I do feel its a lot better and that things are progressing.

I just am unsure whats best to do. It seems from what I've read absess don't just go away on there own but then all the info I have read has been of severe cases (mostly in bone.)

If any one has any advise I would be so grateful.

Sorry for the uber long post.

I just wanted to add he is seemingly pain free and has been his normal self through out everything. He doesn't like it when I clean the ear and express the pus but neither would I, I don't expect. Eating, drinking and everything else is exactly the same as normal.

It is really hard to give advice without being able to see the wound.

If more pus is expressed when you massage up the ear then it probably indicates that the infection is tracking INWARDS. In all honesty it sounds as though surgery might be necessary as if the infection is inward tracking it wil just get worse and it can become a systemic infection, ie infection can enter the bloodstream.

Good luck with whatever you decide. A different antibiotic may also be a good idea, something like Depocillin INJECTIONS. IME Baytril is seldom useful in the treatment of abscesses.

Thanks Jane. Today the wound is totally closed over and I cannot express the pus at all. The ear is a bit more swollen but even with the hibbi scrub I cannot get the wound open again to express the pus which I believe I can feel in the ear swelling.

So I think you are right and he will more than likely need surgery tomorrow. I've read about anti-biotic beads placed in the wound site. Do you think that would be an option for him?

Thanks Jane. Today the wound is totally closed over and I cannot express the pus at all. The ear is a bit more swollen but even with the hibbi scrub I cannot get the wound open again to express the pus which I believe I can feel in the ear swelling.

So I think you are right and he will more than likely need surgery tomorrow. I've read about anti-biotic beads placed in the wound site. Do you think that would be an option for him?

I think it would depend on the extent of the infection. Can you get to a Vet today to open up the wound ? If the infection is now closed in it will track VERY quickly. The sooner steps are taken to try to minimise this risk the better.

Jane I've called the emergency vets who went through his notes again and asked me how he is in himself etc. They have advised that I bring him in as planned tomorrow morning unless his behavior changes I.e no eating or drinking etc. They said as I expressed last night it should be fine unless his situation changes at all. Thanks for your help once again.

Jubby is having surgery tomorrow.
The vet will decide once she opens the wound up but she will either flush and pack with calcium and local anisetic or she will treat it similar to a dog hematoma of the ear which she said is quite radical but she can see no reason why it wouldn't work. That involves open the wound then cutting a flap of skin down the middle to remove sealing the two sides with stitches.
Saying our prayers tonight :(

lots of vibes going towards you! i know how abcsess are very difficult :( both of mine have root tooth abcsess which are in the bone. xx

Thank you Jane and Becci. Your thoughts are so very apprieciated. I am really nervous about tomorrow but just having some cuddles with my Lil guy and trying to relax. The op sounds scary and she said be prepared for him to look quite shocking ESP if she goes down the "hematoma" like approach. Poor Lil Jubb :(

We dropped him off at half eight this morning and I haven't heard anything yet. Sick with worry, I don't know why just have a bad feeling about this :(

He made it through the op!!!! :) He's in recovery, they are just about to give him something to eat and see how he gets on. The vet needs to speak to me to explain what she's done but she is super busy today so if I haven't heard from her by 4pm they said to call again. Thanks again for all your good vibes xxx

Thanks again lovely people!

He has had the ''dog'' hematoma op and now its all down to him to heal it up.

He's doing great after the op but he lost some blood during the op (apprently rabbit ears are vascular) and they would like to monitor him over night. So he is staying there tonight and I can call at 9am to see when we can collect him. She will see him for a check up next week which is the day before we go on holiday. Vet wants to continue with Baytril to warn off any further issues but due to the stitchs and tubes holding the ear flaps down pus-re-occurance should not happen. I REALLY hope this is the end but we all know how abcesses are.

Anyway for now its good news :D

Back