• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you put ..

Lots of straw in their bed areas and in the winter when it's really cold straw on the floor. ALso lots of straw in their litter trays because that's where they spend most of their time:roll: Sometimes I put fleece down.:)

I have to buy straw when my buns move outside, half of my run is sheltered from the top and sides and the other half is grass and meshed. :]

My enclosure is protected on 3 sides, has a roof and the front is all mesh. I bought some plastic from The Range (like shower-curtain material) and have made covers for the mesh panels. These help keep out the wind and rain in winter. Last year I put them up using eyelets and hooks, this year I'm going to try to make them similar to roller-blinds.

I also have cheap fleece blankets (Asda) which I use a windbreakers too. (I had 5 in use a one time :oops:) Also, I have carpet samples on the floors, and masses of hay on top. Plus they have each other.

In winter I put the perspex back into the playhouse windows. Cover the whole floor of the playhouse in a layer of hay and straw. Snowdrop has a hutch in her playhouse which I line with towels, stuff with hay and then put her snuggle safe in. Strawbs has a cardboard box lined with a blanket and stuff with straw.

We also cover their run in corregated plastic to keep it dry, cover the front of the runs in those silver car sun shades which really helped. The water bottles are in the runs and over winter they very rarely froze under the car sun shades.

Do you mean just the enclosure bit, or the hutch/shed that is attached?

I make sure their shed is snug with lots of hay, and they only have an 8" door open in cold weather to cut down the draught.

Generally I tend not to put much in the enclosure part, apart from a raised area for them to sit on, and I have 3 sides protected from the rain/wind etc.

For my little bunnies with a hutch/enclosure I cover the floor of their enclosure with straw and hay as they spend so much time in there.

Yea,but they're going to get free range time everyday in the garden and house and they're going to spend the night in the run in the garden.
Its not attached to a shed or hutch.
In winter they're going to be inside the house or garage :)

Yea,but they're going to get free range time everyday in the garden and house and they're going to spend the night in the run in the garden.
Its not attached to a shed or hutch.
In winter they're going to be inside the house or garage :)

It's great they will be getting free range, but personally I don't think a 6x4 run is big enough for 2 buns to be in over night, that is more than 8 hours roughly, and what about when you are at school, will your parents be watching them free ranging?
You could buy/make a 6x2 hutch to attatch to it though, meaning the hutch and run together would then meet the minimum RSPCA size.
I wouldn't be comfortable leaving my bunnies in a run over night, I would want them to have a proper covered, closed in area to hide away in and snuggle together in. If you added a hutch they would have more space AND would feel more secure and have a place to hide away if they got scared. Is that an option for you?

I would've said leaving them in just a run is a bit dangerous, they have nowhere to hide in it, can dig out of it if it's on grass and they are at risk of predators being just in the run. Do you not have a hutch you could join it too? Or buy one? It will also be cold for them, even with the sheltered end. I think I remember you saying something about a 3ft X 1ft hutch as a hidey area for them but this is too small for two rabbits and they would probably want to sleep in it at night but it would be small squashed for them I think :?

A 3 x 1 hutch is too small for rabbits to have as a hutch particuarly 2 males with a history of matrimonial disharmony. If you read http://rabbitparadise.webs.com/suitableaccommodation.htm your website you inform people that

'Rabbits need a hutch/cage where they can move about freely in, stretch when lying down & stand up on their hind legs without bumping their heads on the ceiling of the hutch' I believe that you recommend that a 6 x 2 hutch with an attatched run is recommended :?

I haven't got a big garden to fit another run or a hutch in, and there will be lots of hidey places for them to turn to in the run.
I could.. Because the run is against my garage wall, we can cut a hole into the run and shed and fit that run around pipe thing, so the buns can retreat into the garage.

Ps. What's the site called?

A 3 x 1 hutch is too small for rabbits to have as a hutch particuarly 2 males with a history of matrimonial disharmony. If you read http://rabbitparadise.webs.com/suitableaccommodation.htm your website you inform people that

'Rabbits need a hutch/cage where they can move about freely in, stretch when lying down & stand up on their hind legs without bumping their heads on the ceiling of the hutch' I believe that you recommend that a 6 x 2 hutch with an attatched run is recommended :?

I've never used the hutch after I found ouit it was too small, they've both together not been in it before I was bun educated.
Its going to be a hidey house.

Back