• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffles - when not to treat? UD - More discharge.

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
Grim was on depocillin injections for about three weeks. He cleared up nicely but always has runny eyes and a runny nose due to his tooth root problems. My vet would like him to stay off the antibiotics if he can and let his immune system deal with the problem. I chose not to give him his myxi booster as he's still a bit sneezy and I don't want to put his immune system under strain. He'll have it when I think he's healthy enough and I'll use rear guard until then and lots of fly paper!

As I said he's still a little sneezy, mostly in the morning and after he's eaten (read: stuffed his face). Most of the time it's just thin and clear but every now and then there is a little bit of white snot. How do I know when it's gone from running due to his teeth to snuffles caused by pasteurella and when to get some more injections for him? My vet trusts me enough to just ring up when I feel he needs them but I'm really not sure at the moment.

I thin I'm going to leave it tomorrow as it's Sunday and then if he's no better ring the vets on Monday morning and get him on another course of depocillin. Poor Grimmy.

Unfortunately I can't answer about sniffles. Noticed Sunshine has the odd sneeze and hope it maybe spring or the new oat hay.

He is my old man now, 7 or 8 so worry about him.

Aswell as monitoring the colour of the nasal discharge it is important to regularly listen to his lungs. Do you have a stethoscope ?

Aswell as monitoring the colour of the nasal discharge it is important to regularly listen to his lungs. Do you have a stethoscope ?

No I don't but that's a very good idea. They've always been clear throughout his last bout but that should be something I get in. Thanks.

Grimlock is one adorable & amazing bunny. :love:
I'm sso very sorry to hearhe's getting even more problems.
I can't answer your question. I'd say that dust control will help alot. If you can get bailed hay rather than shop it's often less dusty.

You've both got all my support, well wishes & thoughts from here.

Sunny had two lots of depocillin only and i don't know if it's just because I've moved him into a "safer" more bunny friendly location...his snuffles has got better. He actually isn't sneezing at the moment which is great. I am just treating as and when with him as he doesn't have it bad and it's not good to over use antibiotics if unnecessary as they lose there effectiveness- not to mention the stress from the vet trip- he doesn't handle anything well. He could do with a friend really, but i couldn't get him to bond when i tried a bond in the past.

It's really at your discretion when to give and when not to. You know your bunny best. If you are worried- of course go to the vets and get some meds, if you are thinking it will be okay not to give, then it probably is for the time being until it flares up again.

If the sneezing or any heavy breathing intensifies take him straight away. The eyes are unreliable especially with a dental bun. Adonia used to just look sullen if she was going through a bad patch. That is a good indication that you need to be at the vets- mood change.

It's worth getting dust free hay and also bedding down on ecobed- which is cardboard dust free bedding. It comes in big bags and will last one bun awhile. It's £13 delivered. Buns with respiratory problems struggle with hay bedding.

Sunny had two lots of depocillin only and i don't know if it's just because I've moved him into a "safer" more bunny friendly location...his snuffles has got better. He actually isn't sneezing at the moment which is great. I am just treating as and when with him as he doesn't have it bad and it's not good to over use antibiotics if unnecessary as they lose there effectiveness- not to mention the stress from the vet trip- he doesn't handle anything well. He could do with a friend really, but i couldn't get him to bond when i tried a bond in the past.

It's really at your discretion when to give and when not to. You know your bunny best. If you are worried- of course go to the vets and get some meds, if you are thinking it will be okay not to give, then it probably is for the time being until it flares up again.

If the sneezing or any heavy breathing intensifies take him straight away. The eyes are unreliable especially with a dental bun. Adonia used to just look sullen if she was going through a bad patch. That is a good indication that you need to be at the vets- mood change.

It's worth getting dust free hay and also bedding down on ecobed- which is cardboard dust free bedding. It comes in big bags and will last one bun awhile. It's £13 delivered. Buns with respiratory problems struggle with hay bedding.

Thanks for the advice. I've started using dust free hay from Norfolk pastures, but it's only in the litter trays. Smoo loves it so it's a hit there and Grim only goes in to poo. Otherwise they're on plastic mats in the hutch with a fleece a fluffy mat and a door mat to keep them comfy.

I discussed with my vet about keeping him off antibiotics when we could. As you rightly say we don't want him on if it's not necessary as the depocillin is really working at the moment and I don't want it to loose it effectiveness.

Luckily Grim is already bonded and Smoo is doting on him like a mother hen. She won't leave him alone, constantly cleaning him, following him around and jumping all over him. I think he's getting quite annoyed. :lol: It's more her reaction that I'm going off. She knows something's up so I'm going on her instinct. They're both such special buns. :love:

I hope Sunny continues to improve. :)

Grimlock is one adorable & amazing bunny. :love:
I'm sso very sorry to hearhe's getting even more problems.
I can't answer your question. I'd say that dust control will help alot. If you can get bailed hay rather than shop it's often less dusty.

You've both got all my support, well wishes & thoughts from here.

Thank you. :)
I think when I next clean the hutch I'll hoover it out and get it really clean to eliminate any possible dust.

Thanks for the advice. I've started using dust free hay from Norfolk pastures, but it's only in the litter trays. Smoo loves it so it's a hit there and Grim only goes in to poo. Otherwise they're on plastic mats in the hutch with a fleece a fluffy mat and a door mat to keep them comfy.

I discussed with my vet about keeping him off antibiotics when we could. As you rightly say we don't want him on if it's not necessary as the depocillin is really working at the moment and I don't want it to loose it effectiveness.

Luckily Grim is already bonded and Smoo is doting on him like a mother hen. She won't leave him alone, constantly cleaning him, following him around and jumping all over him. I think he's getting quite annoyed. :lol: It's more her reaction that I'm going off. She knows something's up so I'm going on her instinct. They're both such special buns. :love:

I hope Sunny continues to improve. :)

Aww they sound lovely together- glad they have each other too that's really helpful to a snuffle bun. Thanks, i hope he does too- He cant eat grass either because he has no incisors, so i feel really really sorry for him bless him . Loads of vibes for your bunny xxxx

Aww they sound lovely together- glad they have each other too that's really helpful to a snuffle bun. Thanks, i hope he does too- He cant eat grass either because he has no incisors, so i feel really really sorry for him bless him . Loads of vibes for your bunny xxxx

Grim too, he can only really eat pellets and a few treats. They sound like two of a kind.

Aww if he ever wants to move house he can live here with sunny :) I doubt he would though hehe , sounds well loved and looked after xxxx

It depends how much bread you bribe him with. :roll:
I have to limit his intake...

Okay, this is odd. It seems to have cleared up over today... :?
It's all dried up around his nose, there is still a little wetness from his right eye and right nostril, but this is normal due to his tear ducts. I even smelled his eye and nose which yesterday smelled of infection (don't know if you know the smell) and now he just smells of bunny and hay. Is this possible? I was going to ring up for antibiotics tomorrow and now I'm not sure what to do. Should I see if there is any discharge tomorrow?

Okay, this is odd. It seems to have cleared up over today... :?
It's all dried up around his nose, there is still a little wetness from his right eye and right nostril, but this is normal due to his tear ducts. I even smelled his eye and nose which yesterday smelled of infection (don't know if you know the smell) and now he just smells of bunny and hay. Is this possible? I was going to ring up for antibiotics tomorrow and now I'm not sure what to do. Should I see if there is any discharge tomorrow?

It can clear up just like that it did with sunny. Shocked me, but i think he secretly sneezes when i'm not around! :) Sure, just keep a close eye on things. If you know what's good and what's bad and everywhere in between , you can get a daily gauge of what you should be doing from that information. I've never smelled infection on a bun before, i'd be worried about that, but if the smell has gone, then that's good. I think if your worried i'd nip in for a check up to be on the safe side. They can just look him over and send you home with peace of mind atleast. I don't give buns here bread- i'm mean!!! lol xx

Bread is pretty bad for buns; it absorbs all the good stuff in the stomach and can apparently cause stasis or gut slowdown. Grim's a bit of a special case though. All he can eat is soggy pellets and the bread actually seems to help his stomach. Sometimes it's so loud you can hear it from across the garden.

It's a bit weird, I'm not sure if anyone else has done this, but I can tell if Grim's eye is infected rather than running because it has a smell. :?

Bread is pretty bad for buns; it absorbs all the good stuff in the stomach and can apparently cause stasis or gut slowdown. Grim's a bit of a special case though. All he can eat is soggy pellets and the bread actually seems to help his stomach. Sometimes it's so loud you can hear it from across the garden.

It's a bit weird, I'm not sure if anyone else has done this, but I can tell if Grim's eye is infected rather than running because it has a smell. :?

I haven't done it in buns but can do it with humans in some situations. Even down to knowing which bug is causing the infection sometimes. So yes, I believe you.

I'm so glad the infection has cleared up. Long may it stay clear.:)

He's white and snotty and sneezy again so I've rung up for some more deppocillin. I feel better now I have.

Back