• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbits in love then fighting?

vickypawz

New Kit
Hi i am bonding a pair of rabbits together and they have had a couple of fights to begin with then have settled right down. I moved them into the living room after they have been together in my bathroom hours where they have groomed eachother and ate together. The first time they were great but second time they had 2 fights and were aggressive with eachother. Whats went wrong? Help!!!

How long were they in the bathroom for? When you moved them in to the living room did you put them in a neutral pen?
They could be fighting as they were moved from the original bonding place before they were properly bonded so they are getting territorial.

hi they have been in the bathroom for nearly 2 weeks every day starting from 30mins now up to half an hour. They seem like they are bonded and then you put them together the next day and they fight. They were moved into the living room after a couple of days with no fighting in which time they were eating together and grooming eachother. The first day in the living room they displayed similar behaviour but the second time they began fighting immediatly. Do you think one of the them is still territorial? How long will it last for?

they have been in the bathroom for nearly 2 weeks every day starting from 30mins now up to half an hour. They seem like they are bonded Date bonding bunnies does not creat the big bond you need to be able to say that they are bonded. Bonding is a process which can take weeks to achieve and needs to be done in a controlled way.

Are these indoor bunnies?
Is the room where they were put somewhere that one or both of them have been before?
If one of both of them have been in the room before what has been done to neutralise the area?
What size space did they get when you put them in the living room?

If I was you I would go back to basics. Find a neutral area where either none have been or where you have thoroughly cleaned with a strong smelling bunny safe product.

Make the area about 4 x 2 feet and ensure that you have at least 72 hours where you can sit with the bunnies ready to pull them apart with a broom if they start going for each other.

Then and only then when you you have had at least 72 hours with out any nipping, mounting and chasing start to expand the space by about 2 square feet every 48 hours if they are settled and you have no mounting, nipping and chasing.

The reason they have fought is that they are not bonded and you have given them a too large space too soon and if this is a non neutral space this would not have helped as well.

Back