• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

trapped nerve causing wobbly back legs?

honeybunny11

Young Bun
I posted earlier about my rabbit possibly having EC and whether to separate or keep her together with her friends. Vet doesn't know what it is - she's on baytril, panacur and metacam.

Just thought now about the possibility of it being a trapped/pinched nerve as I have noticed today that she is trying to hop again rather than 'walk' unsteadily on her back legs.

Is this possible? How long would this take to improve? I am sick with worry and the poor thing has been separated from her friends :( Vet advised me to do this despite the other 2 being on panacur as it is not 100% reliable.

Wobbly back legs

Hi there,
my bunny has the same problem. :( We noticed it a couple of weeks ago but it got worse and today we took him to the vet. He said it may be a trapped nerve and gave him some jabs. We also have to give him Vitamin B supplements. Then we wait and see if he improves. Good to hear that there is somebody out there with the same case.
Hope your bunny gets better soon.
Ceri

How old is your bunny?

I have been going through the same thing here with one of my French Lops Tululah. She was treated over a couple of bouts of going off her back legs and associated stasis for EC. Not effective although she did recover quickly from the stasis using the normal methods of giving pain relief, fluids and Zantac.

So we looked deeper (she is an older bunny so that was quite likely to be unhelpful in her health). Turns out, following xrays and ultrasounds that my rabbit has osteoporosis, arthritis and calcified tendons in her rear legs. (She also has inoperable cancer in the bladder but is not we think, related to her going off her legs).

She's been back to the vets today for another update and more opiate based drugs to give her pain relief and we will watch some more.

Is is possible that your bunny has arthritis that could be in the joints causing pain and associated nerve problems or could your rabbit have had a fall/injury? Will upload a video shortly (Photobucket is taking ages) to show you what Tululah's movement is like, but the vets believes that our problems are now more nerve related than pain related - in other words that the nerves are being compromised somehow, probably through back issues.

Just thought I would add that although all rabbits fine (last time I looked LOL) I personally have a wobbly right leg this morning caused by a trapped nerve in my lower spine. . . ah well - rather me than them!!

My Lils is wobbly...and she has spinal probs.
Hopefully, if your bun hasnt got E.C, then yes,bun could have nerve probs or something.Shes on pain meds so good move.xxx

Hi there,
my bunny has the same problem. :( We noticed it a couple of weeks ago but it got worse and today we took him to the vet. He said it may be a trapped nerve and gave him some jabs. We also have to give him Vitamin B supplements. Then we wait and see if he improves. Good to hear that there is somebody out there with the same case.
Hope your bunny gets better soon.
Ceri

I think I'd want to treat for EC just in case - better to do so straight away because if it is the longer you wait I believe the poorer the prognosis.

Hi I know this is an old thread but what was the outcome to this please? My girl bun Lily is having the same problem - the vet thinks it's a trapped nerve causing her back legs to go wobbly :( He hasn't mentioned vitamin B though? Please help x

Back