• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Feel sick with worry U.D good news :)

Mischeif has a runny nose, is acting fine but his nose is really worrying me. I'm going on holiday tomorrow and if there's a problem, how can I give him treatment. :cry: I don't want to go but my parents wont let me stay home as I'm only 15. :(

Last edited:
Who is looking after your bun while you're away as they may be able to take your bun to the vet, or perhaps take him tonight, I'm sure if you explained to your vet he would fit you in with an appointment. :wave:

Yes, leave whoever is taking care of him your vet's number and address and make sure they pay attention to whether he's eating.

Thanks :) He is eating fine, begging for treats and seems really active. I'm just worried he could have "snuffles" The other 3 buns seem fine though and isn't snuffles contagious?

My vet offered to keep Mischa there along with Mini when I went away so that they could keep an eye on him and give him his meds. Don't panic, there are usually options. :)

Try not to panic and I hope you get something sorted for him. xxx Who is looking after your buns? How long are you going for? x

Try not to panic and I hope you get something sorted for him. xxx Who is looking after your buns? How long are you going for? x

I'm going for a week. My brother's friend's mum is looking after them. She has 2 bunnies. :)

We haven't taken him to the vets today, my parents are way too busy but my mum has said we will see how he is in the morning and then decide what to do. :( I hope it clears up! :cry:

Is it clear runny or green runny? I believe that if it is clear then it's usually not an infection. I would ask the person who is looking after them to take them to the vet while you are away. We all have to go and leave our buns at times, even when they are ill, it doesn't make you a bad bun mum but it can make you worry. If they can take him to your regular vet then it will put your mind at rest more.

Is it clear runny or green runny? I believe that if it is clear then it's usually not an infection. I would ask the person who is looking after them to take them to the vet while you are away. We all have to go and leave our buns at times, even when they are ill, it doesn't make you a bad bun mum but it can make you worry. If they can take him to your regular vet then it will put your mind at rest more.

thanks, it's not green, it's white. :(

Is it thick or thin?
Can you ring your vet and tell them what's happened and how you're going away. Say your friend is looking after them and if she has to bring him to the vets can they put it on a tab so you can pay when you get back.
Can your friend ring you and keep you updated on how he's doing?

Oh I do love my parents :) Even though they are really stressed about going on holiday because we go today, they have booked Mischief in at the vets before we go. :) I didn't even have to persuade them, they just came to tell me he's booked in and to get ready to go! I do hope my little man's ok. :(

Jenova, I'm not sure if it's thick or thin as the other bunnies keep washing it off him. :shock: His eyes are running now though too. :cry:

Hope the vet is able to reassure you. It's good he's being look after by another buny owner while you are away. :wave:

Well it's not snuffles but it's serious and he's booked in for an op. It's his teeth, one of his front ones has to be removed as it is loose and diseased and one of his back ones has to be sorted out as it has a large spur on it. :cry: This has happened in just 2 weeks. It has to be done on Monday, no later or an abscess will form and he will have to be pts. :(

My Grandma will be taking him down and picking him up. He also has a course of antibiotics which the lady looking after the animals will be giving him everyday. They have both been round to my house and have detailed instructions on how to care for him.

Vibes will be greatly appreciated! x

Well it's not snuffles but it's serious and he's booked in for an op. It's his teeth, one of his front ones has to be removed as it is loose and diseased and one of his back ones has to be sorted out as it has a large spur on it. :cry: This has happened in just 2 weeks. It has to be done on Monday, no later or an abscess will form and he will have to be pts. :(

My Grandma will be taking him down and picking him up. He also has a course of antibiotics which the lady looking after the animals will be giving him everyday. They have both been round to my house and have detailed instructions on how to care for him.

Vibes will be greatly appreciated! x

Well done for catching it so early!
I'm sure he will be fine as it seems like he is in capable hands. :wave:

And if it turns into an abscess it can still be treated so come to RU before you make any decisions with your vet.

*lots of vibes*

Back