• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby bunny sneezing-advice update

fiona0529

Alpha Buck
I got a new baby bunny on Tuesday. He is absolutely gorgeous,full of energy and running around, exploring everything. He sneezed once on Wednesday and continued to do so yesterday and a couple of times this morning. His nose seems dry and there is no wheezing. Do you think its down to moving into his new home?

Fiona x

Last edited:
What bedding have you got him on? and where did you get him from?
Reason I ask is because I got my first boy, Charlie, from P@H and had the same problem and found he was REALLY REALLY allergic to sawdust! So just wondered if that was it... if not I would probably take him to a vet for a general health check

Thats where my hubby got him from! At the moment i have wood shavings, hay and straw. Think i'll get him checked out at the vet and remove the wood shavings, see if that helps. Thanks so much for your reply! X

Where in Glasgow are you? If you are in the north and need a vet recommendation, I'd be happy to help.

It could be an allergy, it would be good to eliminate that first. I know there are a few people on here with allergy buns frm pets@home. However, thats what they said was wrong with Jeremy, but it wasn't it was an infection.

If it is the stress of moving it means there would have been an underlying infection. After having Jeremy swabbed I would recommend this to anyone who may be worried their bunny has pasturella. It was £50 but they took a swab, sent ot off and it was grown in a lab. They were able to tell what bacteria it was and what antibiotic's to treat it with. They were also able to confirm it wasn't contageous to my other bunnies.

If you take your receipt into the P@H where you bought him they should give you a voucher for a free vet check at a Companion Care vets if you explain that he has been sneezing since you got him.

I would take him off the wood shavings straight away, they are a no no for rabbits, and can cause other problems other than sneezing such as skin problems as they strip the oils away from their coats... maybe someone can point you in the right direction but there is a good website that highlights the problems that saw dust can give. Mine are only bedded on hay now :)

My bunny sneezed this morning and one of them does it all the time got some expert advice on and she said it could be the bedding or the food so we changed and it worked. Try that.... hope everything is ok soon

Update

Thanks for your replies. I am in the clyde valley so a wee bit outside glasgow. I phoned the vet and she said as long as he is eating and drinking and there is no discharge from his eyes or nose i shouldnt have to take him in. I went to the pet shop and got vet bed and wood pellets so eliminated wood shavings completely. still a few little sneezes but i will keep an eye on him and see how it goes.

Thanks again for your help,

Fiona

Back