• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

who can help me with door opening design?

cimada

Young Bun
Hey all!
I have (my dad has) built a super massive amazing hutch using some superior wire, great timber etc but the rabbits cant work it out. We thought it would be ok to have a hole in floor of hutch and a ramp just under but alas no.

Does anyone know what size the hole should be? I think I will have to move the ramps up to connect to the opening so that it is connected to a straight bit and then the rest of it rounded, er like an tunnel? Is that right? anyways I was wondering, as I dont want to make it too big so it will be cold, and it has taken so long to build and cost so much I dont want to risk messing it up, there are two levels before the run which I need to adjust.

Does anyone who already has a hutch have the measurements or the means to measure what size the hole is? Please help as I can get it sorted tomorrow so my bunnies can get in and out of their own accord and not be just stuck in as they are now -_-

I just want to make sure I get it right, they are just average sized lop eared bunnies, english I think!

Thank you very much in advance!
Ciara :p

lol

yeah i made it sound pretty complicated!
sorry i mean just a basic hole in the floor of the hutch, as it is it is round but i think i need to make it straight at one side and connect the ramp there for them to get down. I just want to know the smallest size of hole they can fit through, like when you buy a hutch with a ramp down to run or another level what size is the opening? :? sorry no pictures, I used to be technologically advanced then i got distracted. . .

I think I know what you mean... I will measure the door where my ramp is attached when I have got dressed for you..

But, how long have they been in it as it is? Have you tried starting them off in the upstairs bit and then when you feed them put their pellets halfway down the ramp somewhere, or the opposite start them at the bottom and put their pellets in a line up the ramp, i'm sure tehy'll soon work it out? When we first got our hutch it took a day or so for them to be confident going up and down..

Rabbit's usually learn going up easier than going down. What do you have at the moment - it can take some bunnies a little bit to learn. If it's not too high sometimes a step (just a box underneath) is easier than a ramp.

Hi there. :wave:

The opening in our hutch is 16 x 6.5 inches and the ramp attaches to the 6.5 inch side.
It took our buns a while to get the hang of it. Eventually we put the more confident one downstairs and left the other one upstairs so they could see each other. Eventually curiosity took over and they started trundling up and down, not before a bit of going half way and reversing back again.

hutches should be 7ft long. Being 4 ft wide and 4ft high. my rabbits have luxury. i will not allow them to live in poor, underdeveloped housing, which i hope you all understand! my rabbits only like carrots, the hole should be 59ft in diameter.

hutches should be 7ft long. Being 4 ft wide and 4ft high. my rabbits have luxury. i will not allow them to live in poor, underdeveloped housing, which i hope you all understand! my rabbits only like carrots, the hole should be 59ft in diameter.

:shock::!::!::!:

:shock::shock: Whaaa?? :? Is that even relevant??

I could have also sworn that I just saw a post by you saying your two bunnies live in a 6ft x 2ft hutch :?:?

SORRY
that was my brother! i will never leave my pc on again while i go out!

Can you put the rabbits in the run with a treat or two on the ramp and let them investigate it for half an hour or so? As they find it easier to go up, perhaps once they've gone up they'll come down too. :)

Hi there. :wave:

The opening in our hutch is 16 x 6.5 inches and the ramp attaches to the 6.5 inch side.
It took our buns a while to get the hang of it. Eventually we put the more confident one downstairs and left the other one upstairs so they could see each other. Eventually curiosity took over and they started trundling up and down, not before a bit of going half way and reversing back again.

Awesome! Thanks so much cause we have done some adjusting with no luck yet. It is quite steep to be honest but it is a massive hutch and run I mean my dog could live in it no problem its super so its just a shame that they cant actually use 95% of it lol my dad cant believe they havent even fallen down the hole or something! they spent the first week staring down the hole, i mean literally all the time, and this week they seem fed up with it and have taken to pushing their litter tray over it to cover it -_- I shall inform the carpenter, thanks again! :D

Re that strange post, lol your brother has little to be doing! :lol:

Back