• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you use to clean a cage out?

demikaijuu

Warren Scout
And that title makes me sound a little dumb :p
But the question really is what products do you use when cleaning out a cage. I've been using wilkinsons hutch and cage cleaner to clean it (after a fair bit of elbow grease with some hot water and soap) but I can't seem to remove all the staining in the cage, especially in his litter tray, there is always a little residue left over. Can anyone recommend a better way to clean and sanitise everything that won't cost the earth?

Thank you xx

I don't have a hutch or cage but the principles are similar. Basically twice a week I change they litter trays (underbed storage boxes) and the old box first gets taken to the compost heap and emptied then gets rinsed out with boiling water using an old washing up brush. Then every now and then I give them a scrub with vinegar and a scourer to remove any buildup.

Their rooms are lino which I mop about once a month with a boiling water/vinegar mix.

And that title makes me sound a little dumb :p
But the question really is what products do you use when cleaning out a cage. I've been using wilkinsons hutch and cage cleaner to clean it (after a fair bit of elbow grease with some hot water and soap) but I can't seem to remove all the staining in the cage, especially in his litter tray, there is always a little residue left over. Can anyone recommend a better way to clean and sanitise everything that won't cost the earth?

Thank you xx

I use pretty much everything that you use but every so often I scrub out the litter tray with toilet cleaner to remove all the scale. Obviously, I rinse and air it really well after but it works really well

I use pretty much everything that you use but every so often I scrub out the litter tray with toilet cleaner to remove all the scale. Obviously, I rinse and air it really well after but it works really well

Ooo thanks for the tip about the toilet cleaner- will try that :D

Don't think toilet cleaner is a good idea :shock: I use pets at home safe spray, it still leaves some marks but at least I know it safe around buns :wave:

I previously used the pets at home one but it wasn't removing stains from the litter trays so swapped to vinegar after reading of it on here. Best thing I ever did as the trays are clean and for a fraction of the cost :D

Don't think toilet cleaner is a good idea :shock: I use pets at home safe spray, it still leaves some marks but at least I know it safe around buns :wave:

Yep, agree with you in so much that it is not the norm and I did expect a comment or two about it. As I said, I use it to remove the scale, make sure that its properly rinsed away and well ventilated. I am extremely careful around my buns. :)

Vinegar and something scrubby really does cut through the scaley buildup really well. I did all the litter trays the other day with minimum effort and they came up virtually spotless, bit scratched from somebun's digging but that's all.

Definitely vinegar. Sometimes a large build up takes a few goes to remove it but all the white scaly stuff is dissolved by vinegar.

Excellent. I shall go buy myself some vinegar! Is there any particular type of vinegar or just the stuff you put on your chips :p xx

I use the white stuff cos I've heard of the brown staining but if it's outside then that's probably not a problem.

Back