• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

UPDATE ; WELL RECOMMENDED !!Does Anyone Steam Clean Their Hutches?

suzibunbun

Mama Doe
thinking of buying a steam cleaner to do my hutches - has anyone used one in this way and do you recommend it or not??

Last edited:
I use a steam mop on my bunny shed lino.
Really like it, the floor comes up very nicely & it dries quickly.

Hi

I have a handheld one and use it on my hutches. I use it in between boarders in my big cabins in addition to Trigene, and use it occasionally in my own rabbits housing when it needs a deep clean.

I am very pleased with it and think it puts my mind at rest for bacteria being zapped as well as lifting dirt that I'd otherwise have to scrape or scrub at. It lifts dirt in moments, particularly off lino.

Sounds brill! What make and model have you got please?

Hi

I have a handheld one and use it on my hutches. I use it in between boarders in my big cabins in addition to Trigene, and use it occasionally in my own rabbits housing when it needs a deep clean.

I am very pleased with it and think it puts my mind at rest for bacteria being zapped as well as lifting dirt that I'd otherwise have to scrape or scrub at. It lifts dirt in moments, particularly off lino.

I got it when one of mine had been poorly and I wanted to make sure all the germs were killed dead! I got one from someone on freecycle, think it was just a cheapy, instructions were in chinese! it did the job I think and did put my mind at rest regarding the germs as the Duchess said. My one packed up but my MIL has a larger one she is very happy with (although she' in her 70's she's very modern and has tiled floors throughout), so I think if I was getting one I'd get a bigger one I could use around the house too.

There a quite a few product review sites that might be helpful.

In fact heres a thread I started ages ago asking for recommendations for a steam cleaner! http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=177868

Sounds brill! What make and model have you got please?

I bought one from Aldi the last time they had them in. It cost £14.99 so not a posh one. It came with loads of attachments. Let's face it, all it is is a 'kettle' with a nozzle. A method of boiling water and squirting, so it doesn't need to be expensive. Lidl do them too sometimes, but I think you can get similar in Argos type places.

Sky-O's stupid question for the evening is 'can someone please explain why steam cleaners are good to use in rabbit cages?'

I'm thinking I might want one, but just want to check that why I think its good is why it is good. :lol:

Sky-O's stupid question for the evening is 'can someone please explain why steam cleaners are good to use in rabbit cages?'

I'm thinking I might want one, but just want to check that why I think its good is why it is good. :lol:

I like them because the temperature has to knock out some bacteria as it's over boiling point, but also because it lifts dirt that might otherwise remain 'ground in'.

Yes, I think because the heat kills many "nasties" which some disenfectants etc won't touch and there can be no nasty residues/odours.

I use our wallpaper stripper and just take the attachment off the end.

I first used it after losing a bunny to EC and wanting to be sure I'd got rid of every bit of bacteria that I possibly could.

The fine spray gets into all the crevices but hardly wets the hutch.

Smells sweet afterwards! :D

Forgot about the bacteria side of this product, I wanted something that will clean properly without me scrubbing and wearing myself to a frazzle, that doesn't need chemicals and won't be too wet - the first bit is indeed a massive plus

I don't think you'll be dissappointed with the cleaning side so long as you get one that is powerful enough.

Are your hutches lino lined?

Awesome thanks. How do they work?

It's just a metal central container (just like a small kettle) normally cased in a plastic body to keep the outer cool, that heats up but has a thermostat. It heats to temperature (when it steams) and then shuts off until it needs to reheat. As it boils the steam comes out of the nozzle and chosen attachment directing it at whatever you want to clean. I only really use the tiny directional head so the steam comes out like a jet, but you can get bar nozzles - alsorts.

You can get diffuser nozzles too which are good for steaming fabrics.:D

Back