• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

question on living together :)

pppaige:D

New Kit
Hello everyone. first thread as i am new to RU woo :) I have quite a few questions and didnt really know where to post them so its sort of related to here. Me and my sister are thinking about getting a rabbit each to keep outdoors in summer, we have a big garden and plenty of room for a big hutch, however, ive read in order to keep them together they need to be neutered. Does anybody know on average how much this will cost? And what age do you usually buy rabbits? Because vets dont neuter them untill 4-5months (right?) and i was wondering would i have to buy a separate hutch for them both to live in until the point of neutering because i would rather buy one large hutch for them both to share. I hope this makes some sense :) i just coulnt find much information on this subject specifically on the internet.
Thankyou for your help! xx

Hi :wave:

I think your best bet would be to look at rabbits in rescues, since they will already be vaccinated, bonded and neutered. There are lots of rescues listed in the rabbits in need section here, as well as the rabbit rehome website. Hope this helps!

Welcome to the forum :D

I agree with Tiger Lily about looking for a pair from a rescue who are already spayed/neutered and hopefully vaccinated too. The concerns you have will likely not be an issue then.

thanks guys, yeah i will look into that, but i kinda wanted to get bunnies and bonds with them up, if i did that do you know how much vaccinations and neuterings would be?xx

What do you mean? What experience is it that you want?

Neuters/spays and vaccinations vary vet to vet but a spay can be roughly £80 and a neuter £60, with vaccinations maybe about £18 for each.

I paid £44 for both Oscars vaccinations, and £57 for his neuter. I don't quite understand what you mean though...

ETA: I bought Oscar from a breeder before I knew about rescues. I would definitely rescue now, and I am getting a rescue girl to bond with Oscar in a few weeks :D

Last edited:
For 2 buns:

2x 2 Vaccinations: £78

2 neuters: £119

If I could do it again, I would rescue, but now I have them, I wouldn't change them for the world. How old are you and your sister?

ETA: would you consider a shed/playhouse with run for them? :wave:

Last edited:
You can get young rabbits at rescues too, if that's what you're concerned about. Why not have a look at the places available to you and then make informed choices based on that.

Absolutley rescueing or rehoming an already neutered, bonded pair is the way to go.

Bonding 2 rabbits is not an easy task or one for the inexperienced unfortunatley you have no way of knowing if it will work out.

There are rabbits of every size, age, shape, colour and personality in rescue. Experts have been involved with their neuter, health accessment and bonding and they are familiar with their temperament and personality. It really is the way to go.

Please find your local rescue and go have a look around I'm sure you won't be dissappointed.

The issue with getting two rabbits separately is that some rabbits just do not like each other and will not bond. You have no way of telling till you try. So if they do not get on then you will have to keep them separate, but bunnies need friends so you would have to get them each a friend. Then you end up with 4 bunnies instead of 2.

As mentioned rescues do have bonded baby bunnies if you wanted babies, although personally I like adults as the rescue can tell you more about their personality which is more fixed then. The temperment of a rabbit often changes as they get older so its a bit of a lottery with babies. Likewise with their health and teeth.

To get 2 separate bunnies ready for bonding you're looking at around £60 to buy them(£30 each), £200 for neutering/vaccs, plus 2 sets of housing, so double housing costs lets say £200 minimum per bun. Say £40 for a bonding pen. So for 2 buns it will cost you around £700

For a bonded pair you are looking at £35-50 per bun plus one set of housing at £200, so you're looking at £270-300.

Another option would be to get two baby siblings which you can keep together until they are old enough to be neutered, however you do run the risk of them fighting before they are neutered and falling out, because their hormones start to run riot a while before they are old enough to be neutered. You'd have to be pretty on-the-ball to do this and be ready to neuter asap and separate if there are problems. You'd preferably need to find a vet that will neuter at 14-16 weeks instead of the standard 6 month rule some have.

So basically you CAN do the whole separate baby bunnies thing, but you'd be making life unnessessarily difficult and expensive for yourself for what is the same end result.

Hope this makes sense, I'm shattered and I've had too many energy drinks :oops:

I work at a rabbit rescue and spend a lot of time bonding them, if you have never had rabbits before this is not a task I would suggest you do.

If you want young rabbits we have plenty of those and we neuter and vaccinate them for you so it save that cost and worry on you.

Just for info at the vets I also work out to spay a girl it is £82.50 and a male is (I think) £67 and the vaccinations are £21 each and you will need 2 myxi vaccs per bun per year and one VHD.

The rabbits at a rescue are not necessarily 2nd hand or broken or any different from those you would buy at a petshop but we can tell you their individual temperament and health problems which a pet shop cannot tell you (they will pretend that they handle them and know them well but believe me, they don't)!!

If youre set on babies, like people say you would be best to get siblings and need to be ready to neuter as soon as the hormones kick in. Vets will often do boys as soon as their balls drop but have age or weight restrictions on girls.
You CAN find babies in rescue, or for rehoming, such as these
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=23102
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=23103
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=23105

You will need a hutch a minimum of 6foot long by 2feet wide and 2feet high. If you have the room a shed would be the best home (use the search function to look up 'shed setups'. You say the rabbits would be outside during summer, what will happen to them in winter?
Rabbits can live 10 years, are your parents going to take on that responsibility, because if you go to uni etc you will be unlikely to be able to take them with you.
For prices of neutering you are best off ringing round you local vets, one vet near me charges £78 whilst another charges £38 so it really varies. Check they are using internal stitches and whether pain relief etc is included. You can ask for good vet recommendations on here. They need 3 vaccinations a year, again prices vary.

Last edited:
I bought two brothers from the same litter from a breeder before I completely realised that I would have been better off getting two from a rescue. I know that now and would do so in the future.

I paid £30 each for the rabbits. They lived in the same hutch until about 5 months old when they had a bit of a scuffle and then I whipped them down to the vets to be neutered.

The neutering cost me £60 each (so £120 for both). They had vaccinations which were £25 each (so £50 for both). It's an expensive business and I would totally get buns from a rescue if I were you.

If you spend enough time with them you can bond successfully with any buns I think. Totally best to follow advice on here and get two rescue buns that have been bonded already and been neutered.

I would also agree that your best bet would be to rescue an already neutered and bonded pair of buns :D
Buns recovering from a neuter/spay can become very poorly and will need lots of care, especially the girls.
Aswell as that bonding rabbits can be a very difficult task, you cant just put them together and expect them to get on. The majority of rabbits will fight very aggressively with other unknown buns, and need to be introduced and bonded on very specific terms. Its a very stressful, tiring and offen drawn out process believe me! I hope I never have to do a bond again! :lol:
Good luck with your new buns. You will get excellent advise on here :wave:

Okay guys, thank you for your advice. I was thinking that instead of getting two rabbits, i could just get one, as our attention would not be divided and he would not need a companion as we would essentially be his friends. we have lots of time and have had many other pets although i only have a hammy now :) would this be okay? thankyou!xx

Last edited:
Back