• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it just me?

BioHazard9509

Young Bun
Today I came home to not only my mother in MY house, but also her friend and her friends kids. With my guinea pigs being strangled and my indoor rabbits loose around the garden, along with a broken laptop, and my house in a state. The kids spent a while chasing the rabbits outside, so I've managed to get them all back in and hope they arent too stressed out.
So I'm wondering if anyone else has to put up with stuff like this? I'm so incredibly p:censored:d off right now.
I don't know who to blame, myself for giving my mother a key and going to work, my mother for bringing them here then getting the animals out for them, or the kids, surely at 8 and 10 they should know better than to chase/strangle small animals?
Going to try get tidied up before the OH comes home and see's the place.
:evil::evil::censored::censored:

That's really difficult. I think the responsibility lies with your mum.

I hope all your animals are ok. And yes, an 8 and 10 year old should know better, but if they haven't been taught how to show respect then they won't, sadly.

I think your rabbit would've been more stressed out than the children :roll:

I think that's what BioHazard9509 meant, that they got the rabbits in and hope they aren't stressed out. Not got the kids in! They are "indoor rabbits" as she said...

omg I would be MAJOR upset with my mum if she did that!!!!!

your mum chose to come into your house and allow other people in and ultimately is responsible .. in my opinion.

my mum and I have each other's house keys but dont use them unless we need to for some reason or another.

the kids, well they were just being kids im afraid, without any proper advice how would they know?

i feel very sorry for you, you must be totally fuming!! :evil:

That's really difficult. I think the responsibility lies with your mum.

I hope all your animals are ok. And yes, an 8 and 10 year old should know better, but if they haven't been taught how to show respect then they won't, sadly.

My main problem is that when I first got guinea pigs, they asked their mother for them, and of course got them. They were bought and put in the garden and forgotten about, then the mother called me to take one of them as the was dead, when I went to see them the 'dead' one was rotting already. And now they're asking for a rabbit and it looks like they are getting it since the mother asked for one of my old hutches, which im not going to give.
Talking to the mother doesn't even seem to help. If they get a rabbit i'm definitely going to do something about it.

My main problem is that when I first got guinea pigs, they asked their mother for them, and of course got them. They were bought and put in the garden and forgotten about, then the mother called me to take one of them as the was dead, when I went to see them the 'dead' one was rotting already. And now they're asking for a rabbit and it looks like they are getting it since the mother asked for one of my old hutches, which im not going to give.
Talking to the mother doesn't even seem to help. If they get a rabbit i'm definitely going to do something about it.

:shock:

the kids, well they were just being kids im afraid, without any proper advice how would they know?

i feel very sorry for you, you must be totally fuming!! :evil:
im so angry I could cry. One of the piggies is only 5 months old and moved in just last friday, and shes been struggling to eat, so I try to only get her out to feed her, but today shes been grabbed, pushed, pulled and squashed.
This is one of the reasons I moved so early, after the countless hamster/guinea pig deaths because she'd let her friends kids at them while i was out, now shes bringing them to my house!:censored:

I'd get my key back, or change the locks entirely tbh. That's incredibly disrespectful to you and if anyone EVER risked harm to my animals like that I'd want to murder them

I would definitely have words with my mum if this happened. It is 1. very disrespectful to you and your OH. 2. Could have caused some serious problems with the animals.

I would talk to her and tell her how it made you feel and that is just not on, animals are not toys and she shouldn't have let them out with kids without your say so. Why does she have a key? For emergencies? If so tell her that is what the key is for and not to just turn up when you are not there.

Hope you and the furries are ok xxx

I would sit your mum down and explain the issue to her, and how upset it has made you. I would then suggest that if this were ever to happen again, you would have no choice but to take key away/change the locks. Unless you think speaking to her won't make any difference, then just take the key anyway!

Thats awful. I'm sorry but your mother is out of line. They are your pets and your responsibility and something worse could have happened. If it was my mum I would seriously think about saying until she can be trusted I want my key back and added from that stress how important the animals and respect is to me and if she can't learn to abide by my rules then shes not welcome at all in my house. I know its harsh but just imagine what could have happened if you hadn't have come back.

I've never really gotten on with my mum for various reasons, but when I lived at home, my hamsters and guinea pigs lived in my bedroom, and I'd occasionally come home from school to find her friends' kids in my bedroom with the animals all out, hamster AND guinea pigs at the same time on my floor. It'd outrage me so much, and I'd try to talk to my mother about and she'd promise not to let them go into my room but they'd soon be back in.
I've tried calling my mum tonight already but she just says "yeah haha" she couldn't care less. She's one of those people who thinks all over living beings are beneath her and less important.

My mum used to do this all the time, my parents had spare keys for emergencies. I often came home from work to find that she'd got rid of various items I owned and replaced them! :shock: one time it was the kettle and another was my duvet, not the cover the actual duvet itself, I can't remember what else now.

They also used to let themselves in while we were there, no knock, doorbell or phonecall :shock: If they did actually manage to announce they were coming round the'd text me from outside my flat.

They really didn't understand why I was getting so upset, it was actually making me quite ill, I thought I might end up having a breakdown :( After a few months of this I flipped and had a massive row with them. We've sorted things out now, it took a while and they've now backed off. What I found weird though was that they always complained that they never saw me enough, so why were they coming round my house when I wasn't there? Very strange?

I really did think my mum had lost the plot though, she finally and very
immaturely dropped the keys through my letter box, completely defeating the reason why she had them in the first place, for emergencies :roll:

I hope you can speak to your mum and sort it out, it's bad enough her letting
herself in without asking or notifying you but also to invite other people round and let your animals out, just isn't on. Try taking her out for lunch and explain why you're not happy with what she did. I did this and it worked to a point, it helped that we were in public because it stopped us shouting at eachother :lol: Good luck

That's awful! :shock: Very disrespectful, and dangerous! Is there another relative you could give a key to for emergencies instead?

I'm going to take the key off my mother. She'd go insane if I just invited myself into her house and made a mess. So she's not going to be doing it to me again.
The furries seem okay now, just going to keep and eye on them. I'm a bit worried because I have a thorny rose bush and ivy in my garden, which why I always put the animals in runs and never let them loose. Every one seems to be fine though, so hopefully all will be okay!

Thanks everyone, and sorry for the ranting, I've calmed down quite a bit now! :oops: :wave:

If anyone ever came into my hosue without asking, the :censored: I would give them would be the last words I ever said to them.

I'm really private about my house, I don't even really like having visitors round.

For someone to come round in your absence, with others, and damage your property and risk your animals' health, is so far beyond social acceptability that it's verging on criminal.

Wow I feel angry at your mum now and its not even my house :lol:

change the locks!

ETA do you hve a key to her house?

Back