• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cage requirements.

Raccooon

New Kit
Okay, so heres my first post :3

Now... I've probably completely missed a thread giving me all this info so if there is one would anyone please let me know? Instead of going all the way a telling ;)

Okay, so I'm looking to get a couple a Netherland Dwarf buns come June time and I was just wondering what the minimum cage requirements were.

Oh, and also while I'm here might as well ask ^^' Anyone know a good rescue that has a couple of buns in need of a home? :)

Cheers,
Rac~

Hi Rac,

Welcome to the forum :) Its great to see someone doing their research prior to getting their bunnies.

With regards to sizes, each rescue has their own requirements, so it might be worth contacting the ones you might consider adopting from.

The one I'm involved in ask for 50sqft permanent access. The RWA states a 6ft by 2ft hutch attached to a 6ft by 8ft run, but that's a relatively new recommendation and many rescues ask for a 6ft by 2ft hutch with a 6ft by 4ft run attached.

But, as I say, each rescue will have its own requirements for what they adopt their rabbits out too.

Whereabouts are you located?

Welcome :)

6x2x2 minimum with a big run/ free range always available :)

Smaller bunny doesn't equal smaller requirements. If anything it means bigger: they're little fluffballs of energy. Buckley (my lionhead) terrifies me with her speed and ability to travel massive distances in the blink of an eye!

As for rescues, it depends where abouts in the country you are/ how far you're willing to travel. If you look on rabbitrehome.org.uk there's a list of rescues nd some (not all) of the available bunnies are listed, also look in the available rescues threads on here :)
xoxo

Right, another question. I'm planning on having them inside and the room I was going to have them in is 5ftx8ft which they would have constant access to except for at night. Would you still recommend having a cage that size? Or would a smaller one be okay? :)

Right, another question. I'm planning on having them inside and the room I was going to have them in is 5ftx8ft which they would have constant access to except for at night. Would you still recommend having a cage that size? Or would a smaller one be okay? :)

I'd still recommend the big size. As big as you can get, in my opinion. There are lots of options for indoor housing though, I don't know if you've checked out http://www.therabbithouse.com/indoor/index.asp ?

Especially this kind of thing http://www.therabbithouse.com/gallery_item.asp?Entry=74 where you cover the outside walls of the area, so they still have the whole room but can't damage any skirting/walls/bookcases etc ^^

Personally, mine live in a huge dog cage with 2 levels and I let them out around 8 hours per day and still feel guilty. It's better to get as big as you can get rather than end up feeling bad and buying something bigger :)

Back