• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Drying Dandelions

Captain Helen

Wise Old Thumper
I picked a bin liner full of dandelions over the weekend, and I've just had them in the oven to dry out.

Problem is they stink! :shock: The whole house now smells and it's making me gag! Why did nobody warn me this would happen?! I read through all the drying threads I could find first and there's no mention of smell!

Has anybody else had this problem with drying dandelions? :wave:

Not tried yet but was planning on some foraging this weekend so thanks for heads up and I shall follow this thread with interest!! Hope someone can help

Lol, I've never noticed but only did them in small numbers when Scamp was little. When the weather gets a bit warmer you can do them outside. Easier than an oven if you've got a lot to do too.

Tam

Perhaps it's because of how many I put in? It was a super big batch!

I didn't want to risk leaving them outside in case it started raining. I think next time I might try hanging them up in the sunroom.

The rabbits had better appreciate them! Not sure how I'm going to eat my dinner! My pizza's gonna smell like dandelions :cry:

Hmm, what's a hanging net storage thingy? I think I get the idea, sounds easier that trying to tie all the little bits together...

You know, a whatchamathingy! :lol: Look a bit like fishing tunnel/net thingies only designed for kids toys (I think :oops: ) I got two from the car boot last year & they are great for nom drying :wave:

You know, a whatchamathingy! :lol: Look a bit like fishing tunnel/net thingies only designed for kids toys (I think :oops: ) I got two from the car boot last year & they are great for nom drying :wave:

ETA: one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ikea-Fangst-6...60359321893?pt=UK_Storage&hash=item53e716e125

Ahh, I see. I was thinking of a hammock type thing, which I guess would also work. I bet I can find one of those storage thingies in Wilko's or a pound shop.

Thank you! :wave:

I accidentally dried some once. We found a huge field of them when we were out, so I picked some and put them in the car and forgot about them. Went to throw them away the next day as I thought they'd be all wilted and they were totally dry and crispy!

The car did smell somewhat but I liked it :oops:

I accidentally dried some once. We found a huge field of them when we were out, so I picked some and put them in the car and forgot about them. Went to throw them away the next day as I thought they'd be all wilted and they were totally dry and crispy!

The car did smell somewhat but I liked it :oops:

Was it in summer ?
Your car must've been really hot inside ?

I dried dandelions the other day - leaves and flowers. We popped them in a cardboard box in the greenhouse and they were dry in now time :)

Being a total numpty I never thought that the yellow flowers would dry into the fluffy seed heads :oops: When I dry calendula the petals stay yellow :lol:

Still, I saved the seeds to sow in the garden :D

Back