• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

EC bunnies life expectancy??

MichG

Mama Doe
So I have ended up taking on a bunny who has had EC a few months ago and has been left with a slight head tilt (he is gorgeous!! Photos to come but Photobucket won't work :evil:) just wondered if EC buns have the same life expectancy? Also once they are full recovered and finished the Lapizole 28 days are they still contageous?

That would depend on if its genuine EC, or if its been misdiagnosed, to be honest, and so much is misdiagnosed.

As far as I know, genuine EC can not be fully recovered from because of the nature of what it does to the body, so one might suspect that if the bunny is healthy and has remained healthy, that it was misdiagnosed.

If a bunny has genuine EC then it has an 'issue' (normally the first sign is a weak back left leg), and it recovers as the immune system fights it, then, as the spore takes hold again, it has another issue, and then the immune system mounts a greater fight so the symptom can ease, and then it carries on like that until the immune system can no longer fight anymore and the bunny loses its battle.

Please note, this is what I have learnt, researched and been told and is my opinion only. My opinion tends to differ from the masses. :lol:

I had a bunny with head tilt who had an inner ear infection and she lived another 15 months and then died of secondary uterine cancer and no remaining infection issues.

Hmm, I am inclined to say it was EC/he hasn't got anything else, simply because he was being looked after by a RVN until this week (his sister died of bloat last week and his has been miserable on his own), I text her and found he was treated back in January and has been fine since then apart from the head tilt. He was treated with 28 ays of Lapizole, Antibiotics and metacam.

He is absolutely fine in himself, eating, drinking, pooping, running around like a crazy loon. He is a bit nervous of me at the moment but that will come in time. Will definitely keep an eye on him though and start the 2 he is now with on some Lapizole just incase.

Back