• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it legal? Pet shops self medicating?

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
I just went to a local pet shop. Its a BIG shop selling aquatics and small pets (not 'the' chain store)

I saw about 5 bunnies sneezing. One was a german lop having a proper sneezing fit. And about 4 or 5 baby bunnies about 8 weeks old who were all in together. They kept sneezing and washing their nose.

I was dreading saying anything because the manager is a B**ch and always goes off on one.

She said "They look fine to me and their noses seem clean" I said well you should check their paws it may show there first.

She said there was nothing wrong with them

A young staff member said "We have some antibiotics in but i dont want to give them to them" I said "Oh you have a vet? Can they look at them?"

The manager said "No we dont have a vet, and they are fine"

I was angry- but is it legal for pet shops (and 16 year old staff members) To self medicate any unusual symptoms with a batch of anti0biotics that they have in the stock room???

Im disgusted

Last edited:
I`m not sure, but it wouldn`t do any harm to inform the RSPCA.
I think most petshop owners are ignorant. I once informed a petshop worker that one of their black rabbits looked sick. It was hunched up in a corner and didn`t look happy at all. You should of seen the filthy look that she gave me. She just said the rabbit is fine, and then walked away :roll:

Prescription only medications (and antibiotics are almost invariably prescription products for rabbits) can only be administered under the guidance of a vet. This usually means that a vet prescribes medication for a specific animal that they have seen and taken responsibility of the care for. The only exception would be if there is a problem affecting a group of rabbits and medication can be prescribed for the group without necessarily seeing every single affected animal. This can sometimes be the case in pet shops if they have outbreaks of a single problem in several of their animals but ultimately their vet should be consulted if there are new cases so they can remain aware of the situation and responsible for care.

they probably didnt have any, just said thinking it would make you think they were fine! x

Well it was almost like the young staff member said it without thinking. So i think they have some.

I complained there before because the cages were full of flies . And the woman said if I didnt like it dont come again!!

I just went to a local pet shop. Its a BIG shop selling aquatics and small pets (not 'the' chain store)

I saw about 5 bunnies sneezing. One was a german lop having a proper sneezing fit. And about 4 or 5 baby bunnies about 8 weeks old who were all in together. They kept sneezing and washing their nose.

I was dreading saying anything because the manager is a B**ch and always goes off on one.

She said "They look fine to me and their noses seem clean" I said well you should check their paws it may show there first.

She said there was nothing wrong with them

A young staff member said "We have some antibiotics in but i dont want to give them to them" I said "Oh you have a vet? Can they look at them?"

The manager said "No we dont have a vet, and they are fine"

I was angry- but is it legal for pet shops (and 16 year old staff members) To self medicate any unusual symptoms with a batch of anti0biotics that they have in the stock room???

Im disgusted

The pet shop operator (and hence their staff) will be under an obligation to comply with their Pet Shop Licence Conditions.

These are imposed by the local Council but are likely to be similar to the following Model Form.

http://www.lga.gov.uk/lga/aio/5791388

Any sick or injured animal must receive appropriate care and treatment without delay. Inexperienced staff must not treat sick animals unless under appropriately experienced supervision.
I don't think that "self-medication with anti-biotics (that happen to be in stock) by a 16 year old" would meet the above Condition.

Are the rabbits currently for sale? If they are can anyone on here help them? I'd hate to think of these ill buns ending up untreated :(

Well it was almost like the young staff member said it without thinking. So i think they have some.

I complained there before because the cages were full of flies . And the woman said if I didnt like it dont come again!!

Pehaps this woman's attention should be drawn to the shop's Pet Shop Licence Conditions.

Particularly if "this woman" is the pet shop operator. Then she is directly responsible.

Preventing infestations and pests are specific obligations.

Are the rabbits currently for sale? If they are can anyone on here help them? I'd hate to think of these ill buns ending up untreated :(

There were cages full of them all sneezing etc... the babies were really lethargic and 4 or 5 crammed into the little zoo plus cages.

There were cages full of them all sneezing etc... the babies were really lethargic and 4 or 5 crammed into the little zoo plus cages.

Animals showing obvious signs of illness and accommodation that is too small for the animals....

How many Pet Shop Licence Conditions do they want to break?:censored::evil:

Well I have now reported it to the local council. (Dudley Council) Using their online form. Ref: A33204

I have reported a shop in the pt on this link and they do read them as they got back to me (albeit to tell me it was off-borough) lol

i thought it may be one of the overstocked ones by me:evil: but seeing which local authority you mentioned, i reckon you've been to 'the' shopping centre today?

another member and i have been in there several times before - and i think she reported them to the council then too:cry: when i went in last time, the tiny glass showcases had actually been cleaned - and they had hay:shock: that was a first:evil:

i thought it may be one of the overstocked ones by me:evil: but seeing which local authority you mentioned, i reckon you've been to 'the' shopping centre today?

another member and i have been in there several times before - and i think she reported them to the council then too:cry: when i went in last time, the tiny glass showcases had actually been cleaned - and they had hay:shock: that was a first:evil:

Yeah your right !!! The first shop on the right....:censored:

You can buy things like panacur, coxoid and flea treatment online on vet sites (Easily available to under 16's), I'm not sure if they're allowed to use antibiotics though. Poor things :(

Back