• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sootys not well again possible blockage vibes needed please

crazy daisy

Warren Scout
A few weeks ago Sooty was having trouble pooping and was really fidgety so took him to vets who said that he has got a mass of poo that he is having trouble passing. Was given metacam injection and some liquid parafin to give him. After a couple of days he seemed back to normal and had passed some big poos.
This morning similar sort of thing I've given him some parafin and am waiting for vets to open. I've had a feel of his tummy and i think i can feel lumps in his tummy but not sure if this is normal ie not his tummy but his intestine? Any ideas would be great. What sort of questions do i need to ask vets. Thanks xx

Last edited:
I hope that you can get some good help for Sooty, find out what's wrong and that he an recover quickly from it.

Come on Sooty!

Sending recovery vibes for Sooty. Has he got an appointment to see the vet? I hope the vet can suggest something that will help hime to avoid episodes like this. Uncomfortable for him and worrying for you. Keep us posted. :wave:

Poor Sooty

Personally I am not keen on giving Liquid Paraffin as it will coat the gut contents and prevent ingesta from absorbing water. It is rehydrating the impaction that is important.

I have had success with using aggressive subcutaneous +oral fluids, Lactulose, an osmotic laxative that draws water into the bowel, prokinetics (Metoclopromide and Ranitidine or Domperidone) plus appropriate analgesia and abdominal massage.

Obviously all prescribed by my Vet.

Cecal impaction is an insidious condition and often requires ongoing treatment for over a week.

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Caecal_Impaction.html

Sending get well vibes for Sooty.

Sending loads of vibes for Sooty, my Honey was blocked up the other week, it was so scary :( hope he's better soon xx

Thanks to everyone for their replies, sorry i haven't replied sooner had to work late last night. The cause of sootys impacting is poops! Jane - the vet told me to carry on with the parafin. How long is it safe to be used for? thanks for the article vet never mentioned the drawbacks of using it. He was given metacam injection again and some recovery food to be syringe fed. Should i have asked for anything else? he did check his hydration by pulling his skin up.
The vet didn't really give a reason for it happening again apart from sootys soft poops but i don't really understand how that would cause an impaction? what would be the best way of getting his droppings to harden, is it just the case of cutting out his veg and keeping him on hay and pellets.
Sorry for the long post and many questions! x

Back