• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and a kitten?

pablo0151

New Kit
Hi all

I have two female lops who are about 8 months old and my friend wants to bring her new kitten (very young - six weeks or so) round to have a play with them.

My rascals have had their Myxo jabs but are't getting their VHD till next month and also both as yet un-spayed.

The kitten has had no jabs at all.

Just wondering if anyone would recommend against this because of jabs (or lack of) or any other reasons why I shouldn't let them meet?? Also is there anything in specific I should do/watch out for (other than them just generally not getting on)??

Any advice appreciated as always.

Cheers

Paul

I highly doubt your rabbits and your friends kitten would "Play" together:roll:

Cats are predators and Rabbits are prey, I really don't think the two would get along do you?

Dragging a preditor species into a strange environment with a prey species is not a good idea imo.
My cats can go near my rabbits, because they live together and have grown used to eachother over years... I wouldn't let them play together.
Cats have claws and kittens claws are razor sharp, they can cause awful health problems if they even give bunny a small cut.

To be honest I've seen dogs and cats become best of friends when introduced at a young age, I just thought the same may apply here with the cat being so young.

Probably best I call it off then.

Thanks for the rolling of the eyes too, really useful that.

To be honest I've seen dogs and cats become best of friends when introduced at a young age, I just thought the same may apply here with the cat being so young.

Probably best I call it off then.

Thanks for the rolling of the eyes too, really useful that.

They can end up getting on fine, but one off play dates would cause more stress, especially if one side was in a strange house.
Kittens play too rough anyway, bunnys could get hurt too easy with a hyper kitten

Personally I don't think it'd be worth the stress, for either you, the bunnies or the kitten! It would totally depend on the temperament of the animals themselves though. My cat used to be scared of the guinea pigs :lol: But I just have visions of a kitten chasing the bunnies around which would worry me! Bunnies and kittens can both have sharp teeth and claws and I don't think I'd try it myself unless it was going to be a permanent arrangement, i.e. all living in the same house all the time. Nice idea though, everyone likes having friends round to play! :)

Kittens tend to 'rough' play as well something that rabbits don't really do or understand. What is a playful nip to a kitten can be a painful bite for a rabbit.

A lot of people here find that adult cats are much better with rabbits than kittens, but even then they need to be introduced slowly.

Absolutely not. Cats (even baby ones) are still predators with sharp teeth and claws. Your rabbits will get hurt, buns are toys at best and food at worst with cats :cry:

Back