• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

poo and wee in hay

Mrs Cullen

Alpha Buck
Bella has started to poo and wee on the landing of the hutch, which is where I put the hay troff at night. Jacob and her pull the hay out to eat it then she poo's there. But tonight she has weed there too. I have cleaned it with hutch cleaner and put some hay in the poo tray and taken the hay troff away. I don't think there is anything else I can do. I have noticed that she does the same thing outside with the hay I put in the basket I use in the run. Any ideas?

I only give my two hay beside their litter tray as they would wee near the hay if i never. Some bunnies just are like that, always pee and poo where they eat!

It is a rabbit's way of life! They like to wee and poo while they sit and munch their hay. I am afraid it's just something you have to work with. I put their hay in their litter trays to try and encourage them to go in there so I at least get to control where I have to clean out!

Buckley does this, she'll drag it around her cage from the litter box and rack, poop in it, pee in it. She just avoids the strands she's peed on and eats around the poop :shock:

Ok, so i could put a basket/bowl of hay in the poo tray, because the tray is big and takes up all the room in what should be the bed area. Then she can poo all she likes and the hay shouldn't get wee on it. Thanks:)

Mine always get a great pile of hay in the poo tray - it's their favourite place to eat it :)

They have hay elsewhere too, but most of the time they eat what's in the litter tray first.

Worst case scenario, I think that they can sift out the hay that has no wee on it anyways :)

i offer hay in baskets - the baskets have to be too small for tabby to back her bum into or she'll wee and poo in it - i think it's an ownership thing - hey, my poo, my hay! if i put it in hanging baskets on the side of their enclosure they don't eat it. anyway, i offer it in wicker baskets which stand by the poo trays. and so they pull it out of the basket, spread it, and wee and poo on it...:shock::lol:

Where ever there is hay mine will poo!!
Hay comes in poop comes out!

They have a hay rack (half moon hanging basket) in the run and hay in their litter trays inside the hutch!

Back