• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Grey coloured droppings ...worried!!!!!

John Lenegan

Young Bun
Hi all !

Not long got back home, and I have just noticed in my bunnies cage there are allot of light grey coloured droppings.

I have never seen this before and I'm really worried. Does anyone have any idea what this could be??

My girl Princess is 11 months and Shogun my boy is 9 months, they have both been spayed.

They have been eating there normal diet so I cant understand ... They are running around normally and eating but I'm really worried .

Can anyone help ??

Many thanks

98ca2ff8.jpg

One of mine was producing those when his gut was in a mess (but genetically he is not a 'sound' rabbit so that plays a huge part). He was producing excess cecatrophs and not gaining weight (he was very young). I added in profibre probiotic pellets and its sorted him right out (but he does need quite a bit each day).

One of mine was producing those when his gut was in a mess (but genetically he is not a 'sound' rabbit so that plays a huge part). He was producing excess cecatrophs and not gaining weight (he was very young). I added in profibre probiotic pellets and its sorted him right out (but he does need quite a bit each day).

Is it best to get them booked in the vets ?

What are they like on the inside? Are they grey all the way through or are they 'normal' if you break them open?

What are they like on the inside? Are they grey all the way through or are they 'normal' if you break them open?

They are grey all the way through , some with some white bits in. Its making me think they have chewed some paint off the walls and not scratched it off. This would explain the white bits you think??

They are running around and eating normally, no signs of illness.

I would clean the tray/cage and see what the next batch through look like. Obviously if they show any signs of stopping pooping/eating then vet and you could call for advice, but I'm not sure the vet would actually do anything at this point.

I presume it's modern paint - nothing old enough to be lead based?

What sort of balance between hay and pellets do they get? Upping the hay and lowering the dry food is usually a good option for resetting the gut if something and knocked it out of balence.

Yes sorry , 100% free range.

Just noticed in my bedroom they have either scratched or chewed off some paint from the walls , could this be it ?

Yes, ingestion of paint was my first thought

I would call your Vet to seek their advice. Meantime you'll need to insure the Rabbits cannot continue to chew painted wood etc.

Good luck.

I would clean the tray/cage and see what the next batch through look like. Obviously if they show any signs of stopping pooping/eating then vet and you could call for advice, but I'm not sure the vet would actually do anything at this point.

I presume it's modern paint - nothing old enough to be lead based?

What sort of balance between hay and pellets do they get? Upping the hay and lowering the dry food is usually a good option for resetting the gut if something and knocked it out of balence.

Yes it is new paint , only done a few months back .

They have unlimited hay replenished frequently , a small egg cup of pellets each and lots of greens ; rocket , spinach , cabbage and brocoli.

Back