• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dental advice

tilly2484

Warren Scout
:wave:

I did have this is another post but didn't get any luck:(

So hopefully someone might have a bit of advice.

Poppy went for her VHD on Tuesday and the Vet has said in the next couple of months she will need dental as her back tooth has a bit of a point. I've never had a dental bun and wondered if I need to do anything differently?

They are house buns, have about 10 ss pellets each in the morning and unlimited hay. Treats include little veggies and sometimes carrot crunchies (they are addicted so I limit these!)

My Honey has small spurs and I have been managing this for 2 years without a dental - touchwood. I give her very few pellets, loads of hay. Some grass or readigrass in winter and wild plants from garden. Also a small amount of veg daily and a fenugreek crunchie.

Watch out for even the slightest change in her eating habits. sometimes it can be very difficult to know when a bunny needs a dental. Some are easy as they gradually eat less or eat slower.
My hazel kept the fact she needed a dental a closely guarded secret:roll: When I did get a clue she had a problem a spur had already caused damage to her tounge:( She sees the vet regularly, now that I am aware of the problem so that it can be sorted before the tooth causes her discomfort.

Does Poppy eat much hay?

My dental bunny (also Poppy), is a nightmare hay eater, barely touches the stuff, I have been told this could be due to it being painful to eat the hay due to poor teeth-if your Poppy does eat hay I'd say the more the better. I am not really the best person to advise on diet though, my Poppy isn't that good at maintaining her weight so I massively over feed her pellets as she doesn't eat the hay, she would rather eat nothing than hay.

As was said previously, watch very carefully for differences in her for signs of spurs, my Poppy sometimes doesn't even stop eating, she starts to lose weight, I think this is because she can't chew properly and maybe doesn't get the right nutrients from her food that she requires.

When your bun has her dental will it be done conscious or under GA or sedation? My old vets used to put my bunny under by my current one does it consciously which is a lot less stressful for Poppy (and me :lol:)

:wave:

she eats loads of hay- I call her the hay monster:lol: I will make sure I keep and eye on her for signs.

They said she will have GA which I suppose is better.

Thanks for responding :)

Back