• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you use to clean hutches?

AnnieElms

Mama Doe
I'm soon to get my first RSPCA foster bunnies arriving :D:D. I just wanted to ask those of you who have a fairly high turnover of buns through the hutches how you clean the hutches out between residents, so that any nasties are removed? I have some spray from p@h that I use for my own buns' base, but I'm sure I've seen that some people use a watered down bleach solution :shock::?:? Is this correct? Also seen some people use vinegar...is this as effective as bleach/bought cleaners? I'm not a fan of chemicals (esp around animals), but I don't want to compromise any of the residents' health by not cleaning out thoroughly enough between buns.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated x :wave:

My hutches are lined with lino & the buns have litter trays/bowls which makes cleaning easier. All towels/fleeces used in the bedroom areas are washed.

I use either white vinegar or a hutch disinfectant. I bleach litter bowls or just buy new ones as they're relatively inexpensive :wave:

My hutches are lined with lino & the buns have litter trays/bowls which makes cleaning easier. All towels/fleeces used in the bedroom areas are washed.

I use either white vinegar or a hutch disinfectant. I bleach litter bowls or just buy new ones as they're relatively inexpensive :wave:

Thanks Fluffers. I have 2 hutches - one is my own, which I've put floor tiles in, and one was bought for me by the RSPCA. Am going to ask if they mind if I line it, as this definitely makes things more hygienic I think.

When you use bleach, do you water it down?

I use co-op anti-bac spray because it's not tested on animals. I just make sure I rinse properly using two buckets of water.

I have vinyl flooring (aka lino). If you can get the non-slip stuff (meant for the bathroom) it's very good. Easy to clean. The standard slippery stuff isn't good though. Don't bother with tiles, the dirt will get in between the tiles and the buns will pull up all the edges

Thanks Fluffers. I have 2 hutches - one is my own, which I've put floor tiles in, and one was bought for me by the RSPCA. Am going to ask if they mind if I line it, as this definitely makes things more hygienic I think.

When you use bleach, do you water it down?

No but it is extremely well rinsed afterwards with boiling water & left to dry naturally :wave:

You can line the RSPCA one with lino (rather than tiles) as this can be lifted & replaced as & when you need to. You can keep the edges down using batons which are screwed (rather than nailed) into place :wave:

Last edited:
I use co-op anti-bac spray because it's not tested on animals. I just make sure I rinse properly using two buckets of water.

I have vinyl flooring (aka lino). If you can get the non-slip stuff (meant for the bathroom) it's very good. Easy to clean. The standard slippery stuff isn't good though. Don't bother with tiles, the dirt will get in between the tiles and the buns will pull up all the edges

:thumb:

I also only use co-op, Sainsburys or Tesco's own products for this reason. Astonish are also excellent and they do a fab range inc white vinegar & spray bleach :D

I dont use anything. i just take out all the old bedding and replace it with new. :wave: I dont like using chemicals

I don't have a hutch but with their litter trays I rinse them with boiling water and give them a quick going over with an old washing up brush. Then every so often give them a scrub with a half and half vinegar water mix and an old scourer.

Their rooms are linoed so every so often (every month roughly) I mop them with a boiling water and vinegar mix while they run on the landing. As the water is hot it dries quite quick.

warm water and a scrubbing brush every now and then, the green liquid hutch cleaner stuff and white vinegar all the time (transfer to an old spray bottle though its much easier!). Vinegar is the strongest and is natural but bunnies hate the smell, you can also use it for making things taste bad that you dont want them to chew (such as the hutch ramp in my case!):wave:

I also use newspaper to help dry the hutch when ive goit it really wet :D

Most the time I use vinegar or milton. In the summer when the hutches can get a good airing I'll do a though scrub with jeyes and use a steam cleaner.

warm water and a scrubbing brush every now and then, the green liquid hutch cleaner stuff and white vinegar all the time (transfer to an old spray bottle though its much easier!). Vinegar is the strongest and is natural but bunnies hate the smell, you can also use it for making things taste bad that you dont want them to chew (such as the hutch ramp in my case!):wave:

I also use newspaper to help dry the hutch when ive goit it really wet :D

Yeah I put mine in an old plant mister bottle. Much easier!!

Generally, the more litter you use, the less work it is cleaning the actual hutch I find. ...

I've found it slightly the opposite. Since I've started using newspaper mainly instead of megazorb I find everything comes out of the trays easier and takes less cleaning. But then my situation is probably a bit different.

I use Johnsons small animal cleaning spray for the litter trays. I'd prefer to use something I know isnt tested on animals, but use this because it says it is bunny safe.

We also use white vinegar or the Johnsons for cleaning the linos, mopping up accidents etc.

Bowls and bottles are disinfected in Milton solution every so often (ie they get washed up like normal most of the time and then get a Milton wash once in a while).

The only time we bleached out their accommodation was when EC was an issue, and we threw all the toys away and started again to be on the safe side.

i use Jeyes fluid every so often for a good clean, but it needs a good airing, other than that, I use Milton or the Johnson's spray.

Thank you everyone for your replies :). It's really useful seeing what works for you all. I think I will defo get some lino for the hutches, and will have a go at using vinegar and hot water to clean, as this sounds like a good value, more natural way to do it. I've got my p@h spray too. Will see how it goes. Thank you for your advice x:wave:

I used to use different things- now i just wipe the lino with warm water and then tip the bedding out each day in the underbed storage boxes and replace. I generally swill the boxes with water before replacing megazorb and hay on top. That's it. No vinegar anymore either. On one snuffle bun i have i use clean and safe as it's for treating against pasturella.

:wave: I use Trigene Advance Animal Health High Level Surface Disinfectant. It's effective against bacterial spores, mycobacteria, some viruses and fungi and some bacteria including E.C. (listed on the back of the bottle).

You dilute it heavily so a bottle lasts for ages.

It doesn't say it hasn't been tested on animals so probably has. Although I am against animal testing, if a rabbit was to get sick, the meds have been tested on them anyway so it makes sense (to me) to prevent them getting sick in the first place.

Back