• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is Bunsk a fatty, Belle too thin... or both ok?

chul

Staff member
Now I don't own any scales so can't weigh either but I always thought Bunsk was a decent fatness. He isn't fat but he isnt thin, I can just about feel his spine.

Belle is different, and I can literally feel every bone in her body. She eats perfectly normal, like Bunsk, and loves ALL food!

Is it normal for a bun to be boney?

I am getting a little worried. I may buy some scales, what ones do people use?

We use normal bathroom scales, first weigh yourself then weigh you and the bun, minus your weight equals the buns weight :wave::wave:

Lucky and Daisy both 'Feel' different - Lucky feels bonier and scrawnier while Daisy is more robust. The vet said they are both fine though. Both are the perfect weight for what they should be and their weight is steady too.

Lucky and Daisy both 'Feel' different - Lucky feels bonier and scrawnier while Daisy is more robust. The vet said they are both fine though. Both are the perfect weight for what they should be and their weight is steady too.

She has been boney since we got her. Going to PM Vicky and see what she was like at hers :oops:

I've read that their ribs should feel like a pack of pens! I'm sure that is a generallisation though as every bun is bound to be different.

I've read that their ribs should feel like a pack of pens! I'm sure that is a generallisation though as every bun is bound to be different.

I've read that too. Bunsks ribs are barely feelable :oops: But with Belle, I can feel all her legs and hips etc.

I've read that too. Bunsks ribs are barely feelable :oops: But with Belle, I can feel all her legs and hips etc.

I have the same problem with my two. Marvin is a big fatty and his ribs are hard to feel, but Maisie is really boney. I've decided that it's because Marvin eats his food a lot quicker, so Maisie is missing out so I give her a sneaky bit extra when I can.

holding bunny with you on scales!!

thats such a good idea!!!!!!!! I have been trying to get mine to stay still on a dinnerplate on my kitchen scales (worked though as came out same as vets :))

Scales wont be much use unless you know what her ideal weight should be.

The best option would be to ask your vet to weigh them and tell you if they are suitable weights then weigh them regularly after that to check they aren't gaining/losing too much.

I always find the hip bones are a good indicator. My Lionhead is very ribby but vet has never been too worried about his weight as his hip bones are well covered, whereas when my dutch was underweight they were very visable.

I would imagine all bunnies have different metabolisms, some are more lazy, some more active.

I've been wondering about my two aswell, Olly seems really porky :oops: and Honey seems quite thin, although Olly does have a lot more fur for some reason (they are brother and sister). They both get the same food, although Olly eats anything you put in front of him straight away, and Honey takes longer, and Olly spends more time eating hay... So I don't know! :?

I would ask the vets what they think. House buns do tend to be a little fatter than outside buns. You should be able to feel their bones but they shouldnt stick out

Back