• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dusty has a cut ear

gareth_mattey

Warren Scout
Hi,

I adopted a female called Dusty about 10 days ago from a rescue.

Noticed today her ear was cut, can see a stitch where shes had something done before.

I never got told about this, the rescue probably wasnt aware either as most rabbits they get have no history as found dumped in a box or in the street.

Her insurance wont cover it as within the first 14 days they dont cover.

I hope she is going to be ok, vets charge £100 for a spray which they do an op and seal a cut. Im hoping not going to be too expensive but the main thing is i hope she is going to be ok as i dont know whats happened to her ear before i got her.

Took the day off work and she's booked in at the vets for 12pm.

Fingers crossed it all goes wel! :)

I think I would phone the rescue while waiting for the vet appointment just in case they did know the history but simply forgot to say, I know how busy rescues can be.
sue:wave:

yeah ill make sure i contact them.

Its a bit weird as she has had it seen to before obviously as theres a stitch but its like no ones bothered taking her back to the vets to get her stitch removed so it could heal fully.

Gareth.

The stitch may be dissolvable, is it a purpley colour? Sooty had stitches in his ear and they take ages to disolve. Good luck at the vets

No its not purple, like brown almost and can see two white bits like thread or whatever they use for the stitches. Ones that need removed by the looks of it.

Because she is black and brown, under all her fur in a spot to the base of her ear near her head. Not easily noticeable and especially since i wasnt aware of any problems. :)

Well my vets said it hard skin and will heal by itself but im not too sure.

Do you think i should get a second opinion elsewhere?

Thanks

The rescue said she was a stray rabbit so no history.

She was just hopping about in the garden then, she doesnt get on with Lola one of my other females and Dusty was near Lola's run.

The next thing i heard was a really loud squeal, it was horrible. They only do it when scared or in pain.

There's no way Lola and Dusty could make any contact through the run apart from talking to eachother in movements.

If it had of happened anywhere else in the garden i would of put it down to pain but because it was near Lola im wondering if it was because she was scared of Lola.

Back