• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nethies weight

What is an acceptable weight range for nethies?

Ive been a bad bunny mummy for not weighing them often enough. Marley has lost some and Dolly has put some on (according to my records, but i actually think shes lost some too as they havent been weighed for over a month :oops: )

Dolly is only 0.25lbs/100g heavier than when she needed her dental! :shock: Does this seem right, im not good with weight :?

They have just gone back outsdide, so im going to weigh them every other day, and if she gets to 2.5lbs/1.1kg ill give the vet a call.

Stand by for a panic if they keep loosing weight!!

For nethies I wouldn't suggest paying any attention to what they should weigh because the range is so wide. I would just pay attention to whether or not your bunny looks healthy.

Show weight is 2.2lbs (1kg), I believe, and nethies can have the dwarfing gene, making them tiny, or not, making them larger. I have a purebred throw back nethie who is 1.8kg, and many who are around 1.2-1.4kg. Weight doesn't mean very much, but being healthy does. If my 1.8kg boy gets down to 1.7, then he is underweight, despite that being overweight for a lot of others- if that makes sense.

For nethies I wouldn't suggest paying any attention to what they should weigh because the range is so wide. I would just pay attention to whether or not your bunny looks healthy.

Show weight is 2.2lbs (1kg), I believe, and nethies can have the dwarfing gene, making them tiny, or not, making them larger. I have a purebred throw back nethie who is 1.8kg, and many who are around 1.2-1.4kg. Weight doesn't mean very much, but being healthy does. If my 1.8kg boy gets down to 1.7, then he is underweight, despite that being overweight for a lot of others- if that makes sense.

Yeah it makes total sense - you mean its down to the individual rabbit ;)

Generally, their average weight is 3lbs/1.3kgs, theyve never been over that (that i know) ... which is why im bloo*y kicking myself for not weighing htem more regularly :x

If that's their healthy weight, and they are below that now, can you work to raise their weight? If that works and stabilises then hopefully it has been down to the cold weather or moulting or something, but if they don't increase then the vets is a better bet.

If that's their healthy weight, and they are below that now, can you work to raise their weight? If that works and stabilises then hopefully it has been down to the cold weather or moulting or something, but if they don't increase then the vets is a better bet.

I was thinking this. What is the best way to go about it? Increase pellets or add some rolled oats? Is there any hays/grasses which are particularly yummy that have more calories?

At the moment, i only have meadow hay, readigrass and oat hay and can only get to my local pet shop, or walk an hour to another town, im going to London tomorrow, only for a day or so, but i want dad to be armed with everything he needs.

Make sure you know whatever I suggest is safe for your bunnies before giving it to them, but increasing pellets, junior pellets (higher in protein), rolled oats (not quick or instant or flavoured, Quaker or Tesco Finest is what I use), black sunflower seeds (just one or two, but mine think I'm poisoning them when I try and give them these :lol:). Also, being a bit naughty, but banana can be good for putting on weight.

Hay wise, I can't dredge up any info from my memory about hay, but think there is something that is better. I think alfalfa can be good, but the calcium content is high (if I've remembered that right).

Make sure you know whatever I suggest is safe for your bunnies before giving it to them, but increasing pellets, junior pellets (higher in protein), rolled oats (not quick or instant or flavoured, Quaker or Tesco Finest is what I use), black sunflower seeds (just one or two, but mine think I'm poisoning them when I try and give them these :lol:). Also, being a bit naughty, but banana can be good for putting on weight.

Hay wise, I can't dredge up any info from my memory about hay, but think there is something that is better. I think alfalfa can be good, but the calcium content is high (if I've remembered that right).

Ill go and have a scout around the supermarket for some rolled oats, i think i used the bunnies stash up for myself! :lol: Wont go over board yet, see how we get on. Might just give the vet a call for some advice anyway, its Dolly that worries me the most because of her teeth.

Yeah calcium in Alfalfa is quite high, i prefer to steer clear of it really.

Thanks Sky-O :) :wave:

If you're worried about her, then a call to the vets would be worthwhile doing sooner rather than later :)

If you're worried about her, then a call to the vets would be worthwhile doing sooner rather than later :)

Ive got to call back at 11 as the vet nurse isnt in yet. I dont like the vet nurse, she told me that Dolly needs more pellets to wear her molars down!! :roll:

i have just had mine to the vets for jabs, they were all weighed and out of the 2 nethies i was worried Buddy was overweight. he weighed 1.5kg which the vet said was ok (i think most of the chubbiness is actually his winter coat, he is like a woolly mammoth!)
tallulah weighed 1.2kg but she is much smaller than Bud.

as sky o says they come in so many different sizes it's hard to poin point a certain weight they should be.

Meggy fluctuates between 1.2kg and 1.4kg. 100g isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things. She could've just had a big wee before the last time you weighed her.

Meggy fluctuates between 1.2kg and 1.4kg. 100g isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things. She could've just had a big wee before the last time you weighed her.

:lol: she hasnt lost 100g, shes 100g heavier than she was BEFORE her dental, when she was at her lightest.

Shes supposed to be 1.4kg and shes a little under 1.2kg, i know its still not a huge difference but the vet said she was too thin last time she weighed this much. :? Shes always been small, and kind of bony though.

Its probably my own fault for not keeping an eye on it, :oops: if i did it regularly, i wouldnt get so confused when she looses weight.

I think when looking at small bunnies 100g is a lot. If the bunny weighs 1kg, then 100g is 10% of the bodyweight (the same percent as if someone weighed 10stone and lost one stone). So 200g and weighing a bit more is equally as large a percent.

Good luck talking to the 'nurse'.

I think when looking at small bunnies 100g is a lot. If the bunny weighs 1kg, then 100g is 10% of the bodyweight (the same percent as if someone weighed 10stone and lost one stone). So 200g and weighing a bit more is equally as large a percent.

Good luck talking to the 'nurse'.

:lol: Thanks :roll: Im not sure if theres a great deal of point phoning back to be honest. I might just book them both in and get their jabs done a little early and speak to Jane. Then i can have Dollys teeth checked and have a good chat, ive been building up a list of things i want to ask since i was last there. If i dont, ill forget :lol:

ETA: Excellent vet nurse this time :lol: I think it was a student that i spoke to before because it was just after Dolly's dental.

Youll be glad to know Sky-O that she said exactly the same as you ;) She advised against porridge oats though, i think im just going to give 25% more pellets each, and wean them onto some junior food. If theres no change in a week or 2 ill take them in as otherwise their a right pair of nutters :lol:

Last edited:
:lol: she hasnt lost 100g, shes 100g heavier than she was BEFORE her dental, when she was at her lightest.

Shes supposed to be 1.4kg and shes a little under 1.2kg, i know its still not a huge difference but the vet said she was too thin last time she weighed this much. :? Shes always been small, and kind of bony though.

Its probably my own fault for not keeping an eye on it, :oops: if i did it regularly, i wouldnt get so confused when she looses weight.

Yes I meant that. Last time she may have had a big wee just before being weighed. I had trouble getting Mischa to put on weight. He'd put it on but still feel boney. That was until he had his myxo and VHD vaccination within two weeks (I usually try to ensure there's a month or so between them) and had a flare up of mites. Got him treated for the mites and hey presto he started filling out again. I'm not saying it's definitely that but might be something to check on.

Yes I meant that. Last time she may have had a big wee just before being weighed. I had trouble getting Mischa to put on weight. He'd put it on but still feel boney. That was until he had his myxo and VHD vaccination within two weeks (I usually try to ensure there's a month or so between them) and had a flare up of mites. Got him treated for the mites and hey presto he started filling out again. I'm not saying it's definitely that but might be something to check on.

Mites? How can you tell if they have them? They arent itchy or anything, i gave them a once over this morning their coat and skin seemed squeaky clean. x

Mites? How can you tell if they have them? They arent itchy or anything, i gave them a once over this morning their coat and skin seemed squeaky clean. x

Mine had thinning fur on their necks, not a huge amount. They didn't itch much with it. Then after their vaccs the skin started being flakey.

Like I say it's probably NOT that but just something that might be worth checking over for.

021.jpg

022.jpg

Id be interested in having a read of that, where can i get hold of one?

...I know they average 1kg, but as Sky-O says, each bunny is different. It was a silly question for me to ask really.

I think id be better increasing their own pellets a little before adding junior ones, see how they go, What do you think?

Not silly at all :) I just think what you asked, was not quite the info you needed or what you needed to ask, which is often the case with many threads on here, so don't worry about that :)

And glad the nurse was good!

Back