• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cats and rabbits playing together?!

zayna1

Warren Scout
So my cat has decided that the rabbits are fun to play with! He has a signature 'bum wiggle' thing he does, where he wiggles his bum, and pounces on something, but without touching it :S (he has done this since he was a kitten) He always does it with toys, but recently he's been doing it with the rabbits!! :shock: I trust him, and he doesn't actually touch the rabbits, he goes around 20cm up to them, then runs away (with his 'signature run' when he kind of 'bounces' away with his tail in a funny curve) hoping they'll chase him too. Oh, and he only does it when the rabbits are free ranging in the garden (whilst they are actually supervised 100% of the time). The rabbits don't seem scared, they sit still and watch him, then go back to eating grass! Sometimes they run, and he chases them playfully (not his hunting/aggressive run at all) and then they end up chasing him. They never run to their hutch or try to hide or anything. Do you think I should try to keep the cat away from the buns? My dad said not to worry-he's only playing, and he has never actually layed a paw on anything whilst in his 'playful bum wiggle funny running' moods :shock: - he just goes near and runs off :S I think he's trying to initiate play? :S

It only takes one small claw, even if its accidental. I would suggest not trusting him because he is a predator, and even though you know him, it can only take one moment of difference, or one accident. If you're going to let them together, make sure its always supervised.

I'd try to discourage him trying to play with them as cats do sometimes get over excited and leave a claw out.
My cat is the softest lump ever (seriously!) and I still wouldn't allow him to play with the buns... I let him mix with them though, just wouldn't want a hyper preditor playing with hyper prey animals

They're always supervised together....and he can never get to the buns whilst i'm not watching, as the cat doesn't have access to the run.

I would also keep them separate. Whether you're there or not it only takes a second for it to go too far. Just not worth the risk imo.

My cats (the playful ones) have always played with my rabbits (the playful ones), 23 years later, countless cats and rabbits later, never had a serious injury, not even a minor injury. Some of my cats and rabbits have had no interest and have ignored the other or they have actively encouraged play.
My old rabbit Lovage even used to stalk my dog and jump out on him from the bushes, tear off down the garden and back again and chase him round in play.
One of my current cats Missy loves to play with the rabbits. My houserabbit and her have great fun on the laminate flooring!

So long as it is just play and supervised, there shouldn't be a problem.

:wave:

Last edited:
I agree with Leanne :wave:

We've had housebuns and cats together for more than 12 years and ours play happily side by side.

We had one particular cat Oliver and a handsome black and tan buck Guinness who would play chase for literally hours.

Currently our young girl bun Lily chases and plays with our ginger toms Finnbarr and Mr Bo Jangles.

Buttercup our lion head lop chases all the cats and steals their toys and they are all too wimpy to get them back.

I can understand why some people would be worried but we have never had a moment's trouble with our cat / rabbit mix. I have seen far more aggression expressed rabbit to rabbit.

Supervise them of course and never take anything for granted but the chances are you know your animal friends best.

Back