• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping predators away?

JoLB

Warren Scout
My rabbits were just out (I let them out every eve until it gets dark). I happened to look out and saw something else (cat/fox) looking at them. I ran out (wrapped in a towel!) and it had jumped over a barrier I had put there to stop the buns getting out. When I started to go to scare it away, it ran off.

Husband says it was a cat. Even so, they will attack rabbits too, won't they? What can I do to keep cats and foxes away?

You have two options

1) Make a secure run for them
2) Stand outside with them
I do both.

You should never leave your rabbits outside on their own if they are not secure. If it were a fox your rabbit could be gone in 6 seconds.

Must have been a cat then. In the 6 months we have lived here I have never seen a fox, so I am hoping they haven't decided to start visiting now.

The garden is completely enclosed apart from the area that I had blocked off to stop the buns getting out. I think I will get some higher fencing for that area, so nothing can jump over it again (it's about 2' high at the moment, with bushes at the side and on top).

Whether or not you ever see a fox believe me you will have a fox. Unfortunatly very often the first time people realise they have a local fox is when they find their rabbits dead or taken from the garden :cry:

I never leave my rabbits in their runs on the lawn unattended, not for a minute, if I have to pop in, I get one of my family to come out with them.

There is not a fence or wall that a fox cannot get over or under - a good way to think of their abilities is to know that they are as agile as a cat and as strong as a dog.

We have a garden that is fenced on one side with a 6' plus fence, the other side has a 4ish foot fence and a wide 7' tall laurel hedge, the bottom of the garden has a 7' wall - we have nightly visits from the fox. My neighbour has put prickle strip on her fences, added a 3' trellis to her back wall and got a dog - the fox still frequents her garden!

Whatever you build you won't be able to keep all animals out. It needs to be fully enclosed on all sides and top or you need to be out there with them.

Back