• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you give your Rabbits for...

a treat? I have tried so many things with Penelope and she turns her nose up at them all!
She doesn't like fruit, yogurt drops, fruit drops, grass, flowers or treat sticks.
She used to like the seed treat that you get in shapes, but she's gone off them now and picks it up and moves out of her cage if I put one in there!
I'd really like her to have a little something for when she's being good, like at the vets or behaving at home.
Any ideas of what I could try with her?? :wave:

I dunno if it's a suggestion, but we keep half Buckley's pellet ration back as a treat because, being a baby at 9/10 weeks, we don't want to upset her tummy with anything new. We offered her a tiny sliver of broccoli and she turned her nose up at it.

The pellets work well as treats because she goes mad for them and they are sort of bunny junk food :lol:

We lost one on her bed in the pillows, we couldn't find it anywhere. She found it, her nose led her straight to it :love:

In my experience the treats such as 'yoggurt drops' and other bunny treats of the like just don't go down as well as say a piece of carrot does! Mine go crazier for their normal pellets than they do for any 'treats' ive bought them in the past! :lol: So now I just treat them with things like a bunch of dandilions.

I agree with the above.

Failing that have you tried Fenugreek crunchies? be warned, you will get mugged for these once the little dude gets a taste for them!

during the summer i dry bramble leaves and give them as a treat. i used to buy fenugreek crunchies but havent in ages due to not being home for online deliveries now i cant send them to my moms :(

i now have a bag of Wagg bunny brunch which i give the buns a tiny handful as a treat once a day..

im getting stronger at saying hello to the greedy monsters without giving them food tho :lol:

during the summer i dry bramble leaves and give them as a treat. i used to buy fenugreek crunchies but havent in ages due to not being home for online deliveries now i cant send them to my moms :(

i now have a bag of Wagg bunny brunch which i give the buns a tiny handful as a treat once a day..

im getting stronger at saying hello to the greedy monsters without giving them food tho :lol:

Can't you get deliveries sent to work? Or left in a secret hiding place in the garden?

Mine get a sliver of fruit, some herbs, fancy hay, or a fenugreek crunchie as treats :)

My friend has some stuff for her rats, I'll ask her what it's called - not sure if it's ok for bunnies- can't see why not.

It's a peppermint 'thing' haha - so specific of me! She said they go absolutely mental for it! I'll report back with what it's called!

A ha- peppermint herbs / herbage!

Last edited:
Can't you get deliveries sent to work? Or left in a secret hiding place in the garden?

Mine get a sliver of fruit, some herbs, fancy hay, or a fenugreek crunchie as treats :)

i wouldnt trust any of them muppets to sign for it and not actually lose it by the end of my day :lol: :lol:

Spenser used to get fenugreek crunchies, but he has recently gone off them. Possibly because I used them to get his metacam into him after his neuter. :oops: He still likes Excel apple bites - I buy online, but you can get them from Pets at Home.

Excel apple bites and fenugreek crunchies goes down best.
I do give the odd chocci drop, which they love too. I keep some pellets back as a treat too.

Thanks for the advice so far!

Matty - Penelope is one fussy madam, she hates carrots, doesn't it pellets, when I gave her a little bowl of them, she weed on them and again when i changed it. I took this to mean that she wasn't a fan :lol:
I tried her with some dandelions/grass bits, she wasn't at all interested, plus am a bit nervous about using these as a local dog often find his way into my garden through a broken panel so am worried he pees on them so don't want to give them Penelope for that reason.

Youthnovels/susie - I've never heard of Fenugreek crunchies, what are they and where can I buy them :D

I don't know if Penelope is just one fussy bun, or she has funny taste buds, but she doens't go for any of the stuff your buns seem too. I tried to give her some fancy hay (with camamile in it i think) and she ignored it.

Does anyone else have a fussy bun or is it just me?! :lol:

Fenugreek crunchies (Hay experts sell them), pro-fibre pellets, veg and I also give the odd bit of fresh fruit e.g. strawberry or apple as a treat - oh yeah, pineapple too.

pellets, dried rosehips, dried cranberries, veg, grass and dandelion leaves are all popular, but I think the absolute favourite is dried apple which they go mental for and I've been known to munch on myself!

Does anyone else have a fussy bun or is it just me?! :lol:

I have a fussy bun. Charlie won't eat ANY fruit apart from dried apple bites and the odd raisen, and will only eat cabbage, carrot and brocilli for veg. Dunno why, he thumps at me if I even dare to offer him fruit

I don't know if Penelope is just one fussy bun, or she has funny taste buds, but she doens't go for any of the stuff your buns seem too. I tried to give her some fancy hay (with camamile in it i think) and she ignored it.

Does she eat normal hay? Sounds like could potentially have some dental problems going on if she's turning her nose up at everything, have you looked in to that?

Back