• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poppy's trip to the Vet

tilly2484

Warren Scout
She went today for her VHD, she had her myxi 2 weeks ago and they found alump. She checked it again today and it's not grown so she has said just to keep an eye on it. It doesn't give her any pain.

But she checked her teeth and her back ones have a bit of a point so has said she will need a dental in a couple of months. I've never had a dental bun- will there be anything i'll need to change? Their diet at the mo is 10 ss pellets, loads of hay and treats include dandelion and carrot crunchies which they are addicted to so I only give a few every few days.

I hope she's okay! I'm sure someone will advice on the diet but i've never had a dental bun myself. I think you should make sure she has plenty of water and hay though.

It depends on how much confidence you have in your vet's opinion as to whether she will need a dental.

I was told that Rudy had some sharp points on his teeth when he was seen for belly ache and that he would likely need a dental in 6 weeks time. I took him to a more experienced rabbit vet 6 weeks later and she said his teeth were perfect. It's normal for rabbits to have pointy bits on their teeth and she thinks the previous vet had mistaken this for spurs.:?

Were you told anything else about her teeth like 'they don't meet properly' or anything like that? Their diet sounds really good - sometimes you just can't make much difference if there is an underlying issue with the teeth as no amount of eating hay would wear them down.

It wasn't my normal vet as he was on holiday and she was covering so I might ask John instead.

She just said they have a bit of a point and will need doing in a couple of months:?

It wasn't my normal vet as he was on holiday and she was covering so I might ask John instead.

She just said they have a bit of a point and will need doing in a couple of months:?

It was an emergency vet that saw Rudy and advised us he would need a dental. I had had Rudy for 3 years at that time. At the age of just over one when I adopted him he needed a dental but since his teeth have always been described as "perfect" so it was a bit puzzling to be told that he was likely to need a dental. That was four months ago and he's shown no signs of dental problems.

Hopefully there's nothing to worry about but just look for reluctance eating, avoiding hard food etc, it will be obvious if a spur is bothering her. Maybe get your normal vet's opinion in about 6 weeks time to be on the safe side.

Back