• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

cisapride available again:)

doorkeeper

Mama Doe
My vet left a surprise for me tonight - 100 cisapride tablets:)

they have just become available again:thumb::thumb:

and apparently the company is trying for the license to produce the suspension too:D:D

for those who don't know, cisapride is the very best appetite stimulant for rabbits

really? are you sure your et just managed to get some old stock?

sorry im a bit confused!!

if the pills are available all the time..itd be great...cisapride saved my 1st buns life many times.....

Joejoe had that when he had stasis in Jan/Feb of this year - it was crushed up tablets in water that i had to shake up then syringe, he was on a few other drugs too but they did the trick :wave:

When I had bunnies, I ending up taking the last of my vet's stock - that was years ago now!

I think there were some suspected safety issues with it in the States a few years ago (3-4 years ago) and our vet stopped prescribing it because of the licensing.

It wasn't being made any more as it was deemed unsafe for humans because of drug interactions causing heart trouble.

It was possible to get hold of illegally via the internet but I was told in no uncertain terms by my vet that this could get you slapped with a huge fine. It could be obtained on a one animal one permit basis legally but not to use as needed for any animal, which as it is an emergency meds is needed so taking ages to get hold if it just meant that rabbits were dying needlessly.

Now it is being made for veterinary use in the UK by Summit Veterinary:D:D

For now it is 2.5mg tabs and soon the liquid too:D:D

I knew someone must want to know.

It really is a life saver, everyone get your vets to stock it so they have it if you need it.

Just flagging this one up again in case anyone has missed it.

The return of Cisapride should be a cause for celebration - it really is the very best drug to get a bunnys guts working - far better that metaclop and other similar drugs.

If your bunny is a regular sufferer of episodes of stasis you now have the option of asking your vet to get this drug in stock for you.:D:D:D

Back