• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many different types of hay and grass do your buns have?

Colyflower

Alpha Buck
I've just had a bit of a tidy up and sort out and realised I've got quite a collection going. Considering this time last year, prior to joining RU I only had bags of Timothy hay.

We've got:

Ings hay
Timothy hay
Readigrass
Excel fresh herbage
Bunny fresh grass hay
Burns green oat hay
Plus the dried & fresh herbs etc.

Any others I should try or is my collection complete?

Happy buns buns! :D:D

Last edited:
At the moment mine have got:

Hay for pets meadow hay
Hay for pets Ings hay
Readigrass
Excel herbage

I think your collection is complete haha!:lol:

Meadow Hay (she finds it snuggly enough to snooze in and tasty enough to eat)
Timothy Hay (she likes the tough, stalky bits)
Woodlands Camomile Harvest (she goes mental for it, tries to climb into the bag :shock: This is her breakfast hay :) )

I'm thinking of getting some hay for pets Ings hay soon, just have to convince OH. He's worried about pests like mites lurking in farm hay... He's almost as precious as me about Buckley :)

Mine get INGS hay and that's it. I don't want them getting used to treat hays and then refusing to eat any other if I can't afford them one week or something stops me getting it. They like their INGS so it's that they get :D

Meadow hay in bale form
Alfalfa King's Oat, Wheat and Barley
We normally also have Alfalfa King's Timothy but we've run out

That's it! My lot love their meadow hay which has lots of different types in it anyway.

Mine have all the Oxbow range (aklfalfa only when poorly)-so Brome, Oat, Timothy and Orchard grass, plus Burns oat, Oxbow herb and dried plantain and dandelions (though have fresh too). I know Oxbow is safe and it's eaten so though it's expensive it's worth it- though my bunnies always have an awful carbon footprint with Oxbow hay and fresh herbs from all over the world-Israel etc!

Just timothy&rye hay, readigrass and the lawn when they go out.

Thinking about getting some ings as well it's just deciding where to put it that's a pain in the bum.

Ings is their main hay which they love, unfortunately they didn't go for the meadow hay as much.

The green oat hay and readigrass is relatively new but they love them, so I sprinkle it over the Ings along with a bit of the timothy. I've hardly fed any of the Excel herbage, only because I completely forgot I had it until today.

Just timothy&rye hay, readigrass and the lawn when they go out.

Thinking about getting some ings as well it's just deciding where to put it that's a pain in the bum.

I'm having that problem at the moment too, it's just sat in the middle of my lounge near their cage. There's nowhere else though unless I keep it in the spare room but that means dragging the bag through the flat every time I want to fill their hay.

What I might do is try and dispense some into a a smaller bag to keep near their cage and just refill it when needed.

Excel Herbage
Animal Dreams Timothy
Cheap Beaphar meadow hay
Dried and fresh herbs

He loves the Animal Dreams stuff, it's pretty cheap but is so lovely, green and stalky :)

At the moment mine are getting:

Ings hay
Timothy & Rye hay
Excel herbage
Grass

:wave:

Spenser has Burns green oat hay and Morrison's meadow hay just now/ He also has Western Timothy hay, but doesn't really like it. He used to have more variety when Animal Magic did individual sample packs - they weren't available last time I looked. The Hay Experts sample packs selection doesn't work for him becuase he very definitely doesn't like three of the hays.

Mine have baled hay and Green Oat Hay mixed in at the minute, I usually have a few more but buns seem to be really enjoying the baled hay this time...as it's VERY stalky, so no need to buy more just yet :D

Back