• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

vibes for Winston E.C

winnies angel

Mama Doe
Please can we have loads of vibes for winnie hes been to vets and she thinks it may be E.c hes back tommorrow and thurs and all buns are having emergency treatment. But Winston may have to go in for MRI scan.
Please any vibes we really need it.
I feel so bad I knew he wasn't right and put it down to huffing after his vaccination and then thought he must have pulled a muscle. I feel really awful Im trying to advice others of bunny owning and I've been a bad bunny mum myself and the cost of an MRI scan is £1500 I'm not sure if we even have that in there account please any vibes would be really appreciated.:cry:

Sending lots of vibes for Winston and others.

I dont realy have much experience of EC,(fortunatly)
Is it Vets4pets Sunderland you are using? I am there tomorrow morning.

Vibes for Winston, the others and you of course.

Think I'd better send some spare ones for your bank account too.

I am not trained in any way medically so this is just my opinion based on my experience.

Is Winston having an MRI because of potential EC?

When Buttercup our girl lion lop has EC just over a year ago, our vets at the time recommended an MRI at a similar cost too! She is insured but I just didn't know how the scan would help.

Anyway long story short, I spoke to the vets our regular vets referred us on to and still wasn't happy with their response even though we were desperate and then the miracle happened and we found a very rabbit savvy vet thank goodness! he saved Buttercup's life.

He said he didn't see the need of an MRI as EC was the most likely cause of the headtilt anyway and could see no reason to do an MRI as treatment options would be limited.

We panacured for 28 days, metacammed for longer (pain relief and to reduce the inflamation in the brain caused by EC) and miracle of miracles Buttercup recovered.

Like I said, I am not medically minded but perhaps it would be worth discussing how the results of an MRI would change the treatment anyway.

Good luck, keep us all posted.

Yeah hes on 2 lots of stuff zantac and something else for 28 days to treat EC the rest go on it today (have to take weights etc into vets)
Well thats what I thought why do a scan if treating for EC nayways I suppose if nothing happens after so long of treatment then a scan to see whats happening but Ill see vet today and see what she says (oh went yesterday and I always get hlf a story)

Yes its vets in sunderland April

I just cant help feeling "why is it always us" haven't they suffered enough the more you look after your pet the more things go wrong. Then some are stuck in a cage with no life and never have a problem the world is so wrong (not that I want others to be poorly in place of winnie)

I know its triggered by stress but
1) Could new rabbit have passed it on we've had her nearly a month?
2) Could myxi jab have caused it as a side effect? Reason I ask is when winnie had myxi jab the other year he end up ill and had snuffles it just seems weird evertime he has the jab he ends up ill.

Fingers crossed for Winston. Hopefully now the treatment has started things will improve. I think bunnies must be one of the hardest pets to keep if looked after well. As has been said before some are just shoved in a cage, no love or exercise, rubbish food, however how would their owners know if they're poorly or not right. They never bloomin' look at them. Anyway after my rant - sending tons of vibes for Winston and hugs for you. Take care x :wave:

well went back to vet yesterday (back later today) hes still not functioning properly, his whole right side is off. Like hes had a stroke, yet its his left leg that looks like he cant use properly.
All buns are on medication now.
Any vibes for winston would be greatly appreciated
"as thoughts are living things" and thankyou to people who have sent them already, he isn't getting any worse so some are working!

Vibes for Winston xx

Just scanning the thread so apologies if missed it but is Winston on NSAID's? This is a very important part of the treatment to reduce neuro inflammation caused by the EC. And is the vet certain he doesn't have a middle ear infection? Abx might be useful just in case the headtilt has an infective origin.

Tons of vibes x

I now know why I missed Winston's thread, its because I tend to avoid EC threads because my views differ a lot from other people's and they aren't well received.

I'm sorry he is having such a battle but I'm glad he is getting such good care; he's very lucky to be with you.

On another forum I used to use there was a guy who was doing a lot of research into EC. He is no longer an active member but all his threads and replies are still there so if you would like the link to read the info please feel free to drop me a PM (not comfortable posting it on the forum).

Keep fighting Winston!

Hes on panacur and zantac and having steroid (i think) injection everyday off vet. We had to stop his metacam. Others are all on oral panacur.
To look at him it just looks like he has a stiff back left leg but when the vet is examining him its all his right side that has dropped (she checked him over for an hour the other day and keeps testing his reflexes etc) he seems to be slow reacting. He seems happy but having trouble with his leg.

I'm so sorry I didn't see this sooner. Poor Winston :( My Storm had EC last year and went on to make a full recovery (just a very tiny head tilt left). I think she was on Metacam, Panacur and antibiotics for a few months. I've also heard of several other buns on here that made a complete recovery, I hope that gives you hope. Sending lots of vibes for Winston xx

I now know why I missed Winston's thread, its because I tend to avoid EC threads because my views differ a lot from other people's and they aren't well received.

I'm sorry he is having such a battle but I'm glad he is getting such good care; he's very lucky to be with you.

On another forum I used to use there was a guy who was doing a lot of research into EC. He is no longer an active member but all his threads and replies are still there so if you would like the link to read the info please feel free to drop me a PM (not comfortable posting it on the forum).

Keep fighting Winston!

They are by me, I tend to agree with you :)

I hope Winston gets better soon xx

Sending lots of vibes for Winston x

I tend to agree with oneofthefamily...diagnostics are only useful if it affects the treatment given, otherwise it's just causing unnecessary trauma.

Sky-O and Jack's-Jane is there controversy around EC then? :wave:

My only thought on the matter is that illness is probably diagnosed as being caused by EC in too many cases.

They are by me, I tend to agree with you :)

I hope Winston gets better soon xx

Thank you :) Coming from you that means a huge deal :)

And yes AMS, there is a lot of debate on what is fact, what is genuine, what is genuine EC, what is active EC, what is appropriate treatment, what isn't, what to do with regards to cleaning, etc. Its not very well known or understood yet (still), so the info that is around varies wildly.

Back