• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Small Animal scales/ foxwatch

MoBunny

Warren Scout
Hi,

Can anyone recommend any small animal scales for bunnies and gpigs, mains if possible, my mind is about to explode trailing the net.

What do people think of the foxwatch? I'm borrowing a friends at the moment but I think I will require 2 to cover my garden.

Thanks in advance

Maureen

Thanks Jane,

My hutches are like fort Knox, I have a fox at the moment that looks very ill most of it's fur missing etc and I'm worried about my bunnies catching something.

I've borrowed a foxwatch at the moment but it does not seem to be working yet and I was wondering if anything really works.

Maureen

I use the digital kitchen scales to weight the GP's, I just pop an ice cream tub on the top and put a piggie in - they do always have that "am I going in a recipe?" look!

The rabbits I don't weigh often but when I have had to I use the bathroom scales and pop them on in their carriers, subtracting the weight of the carrier of course.

I sympathise with your fox problem - I have extra wire panels from a run all around my aviary and hutches, I shut everyone in and I cover everyone up at night so they can't see anything nasty.

The fox pops by around dust usually, the outside light goes on and one of runs out shouting and grrrrring at him - he goes but he's not that bothered!

My neighbours dislike the fox and have added fortifications to their garden, trellis panels and spiky strips, to no avail. The only thing that seemed to deter him for a little while was me chasing him out of the garden in the middle of the night in my nightie, weilding a swingball bat! Funny, we didn't see the neighbours for a while either :lol:

I would never be confident that I had deterred him in any way, I would just make getting in to the hutches as difficult as possible, remembering that they are very strong and tend to push the wire in rather than opening doors, and make sure the buns have somewhere they can hide away should a fox come round to look at them when you are not there to protect them.

Well I've never seen any foxes in our garden since we had the foxwatch installed and never heard anything (my bedroom is right above the bunny shed). However, as Jack's-Jane says, I would never rely just on that and have tried to make sure the shed and run are as sturdy as possible.

There are many types of scale but i weight my rabbit on baby scale because this scale is specially made for the less weight baby or rabbits..i personally use this scale at that time i have no issue when i weight the rabbit..

Last edited:
Back