• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Half Moon Hnaging/wall baskets - are they worth it? DONT FORGET THE PICS BATTLEKAT!!

Self explainatory really.

I have one, but i worry that they jump in and hurt their legs. I would waste much less hay if i used one, but i just cant make my mind up.

Not sure what to do :? Every hay rack ive used in the past ive given up on, im wondering if ill like the baskets better. Also, how easy is it to make a cover?

Last edited:
No idea for a cover I'm afraid, but I use half moon baskets for my hay and they're fine :wave:

it depends what sort of cover you want to make, I'm in the process of a rather elaborate design for a hay feeding station after much frustration with various racks and wastage :lol:
It's going to have a solid hinged roof that I can lift up to fill the hay racks, hay racks at each end (similar to half moon) and litter trays underneath so they HAVE to go in them.

At the moment I have a veg rack from homebase, it works really well, no big holes for legs to go through, and there's minimal wastage. Photobucket is down at the mo but I'll post a pic later if I remember.

I used to use half moon baskets and while I didn't have any concerns over safety I found they didn't hold enough and the holes were large enough for much of the hay to just fall/be dragged through in to the trays.

Last edited:
it depends what sort of cover you want to make, I'm in the process of a rather elaborate design for a hay feeding station after much frustration with various racks and wastage :lol:
It's going to have a solid hinged roof that I can lift up to fill the hay racks, hay racks at each end (similar to half moon) and litter trays underneath so they HAVE to go in them.

At the moment I have a veg rack from homebase, it works really well, no big holes for legs to go through, and there's minimal wastage. Photobucket is down at the mo but I'll post a pic later if I remember.

I used to use half moon baskets and while I didn't have any concerns over safety I found they didn't hold enough and the holes were large enough for much of the hay to just fall/be dragged through in to the trays.

Thanks :wave: Thats actually really helpful, looking forward to your pics :)

Add a finer mesh liner to it and the hay won't fall out and the buns won't get stuck :)

This isn't exactly how it's set up any more (it now sits in the tray to stop them building a den behind it and is in the corner next to the hutch) but here is the veg rack! I feel like this is bound to be a let down after the wait :oops:

hayrack1.jpg

This isn't exactly how it's set up any more (it now sits in the tray to stop them building a den behind it and is in the corner next to the hutch) but here is the veg rack! I feel like this is bound to be a let down after the wait :oops:

hayrack1.jpg

Thats great! Do they eat all that hay in a day? :shock:

:lol: Yes, and that was after they had made a start! I have 3 buns and Eli is quite large so they eat tonnes of the stuff :)

Ahhh! That makes my 2 seem like they don't eat any!! They have a box full of it, and a hutch full, they don't eat all that in a day! :oops:

i use the hanging baskets in mine, got them from b&m you will have seen them in my video and snow who is probably the same size as yours uses it, she stands to eat from it and i catch her sat in it, but she jumps on top of it, then to go down she does through one of the holes down into the litter tray :lol:

I also use the ikea plastic bag holder,its fab! and i can hang it up,easy to fill,i was a little worried about them getting their head stuck in the holes,so im also going to line mine with the mesh! great idea :):wave::wave:

I have a half moon basket in the middle outdoor pen and a full basket attached side on to the fence in the second outdoor pen

hayrack1.jpg

Thats fantastic!! :D Mine probably only get through 1 basket between them!

i use the hanging baskets in mine, got them from b&m you will have seen them in my video and snow who is probably the same size as yours uses it, she stands to eat from it and i catch her sat in it, but she jumps on top of it, then to go down she does through one of the holes down into the litter tray :lol:

See this is what worries me! Although its funny, it might not be so funny when she gets stuck and im not there. x

Back