• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Operation to stop a problem tooth growing

rabbitapril

Mama Doe
My bunny Uncle has had dentals every six weeks for the last two years.
It is only one lower molar that grows a spur.
He is at the vets now awaiting an op tomorrow:( where the nerve of the tooth will be removed by going in under his jaw, this will kill the tooth and his dental problem will be solved:D
I believe this is a new type of operation/dental.
Has any one else had this done in the yorkshire area?:wave:

I'll be very interested to see how this goes. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

My Herbie has been having regular GA dentals for 5 years (at the moment every 3 weeks, at best he only ever went 6 weeks between dentals). He has several teeth affected, but there are 2 which are more problematic than the others.

I really hope this goes well and is successful in solving Uncle's problems.

Good luck :wave: We have fingers and paws crossed for him. xx

I'll be very interested to see how this goes. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

My Herbie has been having regular GA dentals for 5 years (at the moment every 3 weeks, at best he only ever went 6 weeks between dentals). He has several teeth affected, but there are 2 which are more problematic than the others.

I really hope this goes well and is successful in solving Uncle's problems.

Good luck :wave: We have fingers and paws crossed for him. xx

Thanks I am realy missing him.
His companion is with him, who is having an operation on a root abscess so I have plenty to worry about.
I wont see them untill Thursday as the vet is nearly a two hour drive away:(

Uncle came home yesterday:D
He has a small shaved bit under his chin, the wound where vet went through his skin to get to the tooth root is tiny, more like a scratch:)
Vet said the nerve was very easy to find and remove.
After an hour to recover after a long car journey he is perfectly well.
Unless another tooth decides to grow a spur:evil: he sould be free of dentals at forever:D

Thats great, glad he is home and well.
I've never heard of this type of thing being done before, my sooty has alot of problems with his molars, so I'm very interested to read this. You must be so pleased. :D

Uncle is extremely well, after what seemed to be such a "minor op" to have such a huge beneficial out come.:D
I am beggining to think that the tooth had become sensitive after being filed so many times, because since his operation I dont think he has stopped eating:shock::lol:
I would definitly want this procedure done again on any bun I had with the same sort of problem:D
I can imagine not all vets might be happy with this because if it catches on they would miss out on a lot of their regular dental income;)

Back