• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help Needed Please, Possible Stasis Or Blockage

Gillyflower

Warren Scout
My little girl Sandie wasn't her usual self late last night and again this morning, very quiet and didn't rush for her food. Because she's never like this I phoned the vet and booked her in. The vet said her tummy felt as though she has a blockage and has given her Critical Care feed, Metacam and Zantac Syrup. She doesn't seem to be able to get comfy, her tummy is making strange gurgling noises and I haven't seen her poop today. I've managed to give her the Critical Care feed and water. Has anyone else been in this situation and if so is there anything I can do to help her? If Sandie hasn't improved overnight the vet wants to admit her at 9am tomorrow. I'm so worried. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Sorry she is not feeling too good. It is important for the vet to determine if there is a blockage - a conscious x-ray can be done.

Fluids are very important. Try to give her a bowl of water and make it tepid (cod with a dash of boiling) as mine tend to drink more like this. You could also add some freshly squeezed pineapple juice to the water to tempt more fluid intake.

Keep her warm and also get her to gently move around as this can sometimes help get things moving, but don't stress her.

With regard to syringe feeding if a blockage is suspected, someone more knowledgeable will be along to advise.

Sending her lots of vibes and I hope things start to move soon for her.

Sorry Sandie is so poorly, agree with the advice bunny babe has given. If you think she is getting worse through the night I would contact your vet again. Sending lots of vibes xxx

Many thanks for your help. I managed earlier to give her the critical care, metacam and plenty of water but a short while ago she refused more water. She feels cold, OH has put the heating on and I keep wrapping her up but this seems to distress her. Should I try rubbing her tummy? I'm just scared I'll hurt her. Thank again. xx :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I would not do abdominal massage if you are not sure what you are feeling.

Do you have a heat pad ? If so I would try to get her to rest on that as it sounds as though she is becoming hypothermic.

If you don't have a heat pad I have heard of some people putting rice in a sock and in the microwave to warm it.

If in doubt, take her contact the emergency vet for her to be admitted and /or further advice.

Sandie's problem does sound somewhat different than my Julie as Julie's tummy feels normal. It is so worrying. I know exactly how you feel. I am afraid to leave Julie for too long and feel so bad as she looks pathetic. It is hard waiting to hear back on the test. I hope all goes well for Sandie and you and her will be in my thoughts all day and night.

Sandie - possible stasis or blockage u/d

I've just managed to feed Sandie some more critical care and tepid water with pineapple juice as suggested. She's still not comfortable and not gone to the toilet yet. I'm keeping her warm but she's just jumped up as if startled and run off and lay down by the patio window. I want to move her back up in to the living room in a bit because it's cold by the window. It's so worrying and upsetting to see her like this, she is such a beautiful, loving bun, my little baby. I feel so helpless. I'm going to stay up with her tonight to make sure she's ok and if no better by morning she's got an appointment booked with the vet at 9am. Will keep you updated and thank you for your good wishes. xx :cry::cry::cry:

It is going to be another sleepless night here too. I will pray for Sandi along with Julie. I really feel for you.

Sandie possible stasis/blockage u/d

My daughter and myself stayed up all night with Sandie, she was very quiet and hunched up but seemed less fidgety. We persisted with her meds and early this morning she ran over to her toilet tray and began nomming the hay. Unfortunately she still hasn't had any cecals. This morning my OH took her to the vet appointment and the vet was very pleased with the feel of her stomach compared to yesterday and that she seemed brighter, however, she did say she's not in the clear yet but luckily didn't feel if necessary to admit her. We're preparing for another night in with the bunnies but that's the least we can do for our little baby girl, we love her so much. Thank you for your vibes and we'll keep you updated. xx :wave::wave:

I am sending lots more vibes for Sandi. Julie is much better but not 100 %. I will most likely be camping on the floor again also and will be thinking of you and Sandi.

Back