• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can You Transplant Dandelions?

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
From the ground in to a pot? Would they take?

Its just that we have loads and loads of dandelions on our patio, and I've been trying to leave them for the buns but they look a bit of a mess growing between the slabs and also I cant control how many the buns eat when they free-range.

ETA: or where I can get seeds from to start from scratch in pots while I get rid of the masses we have growing wild through the patio?

Last edited:
My mum got me seeds for Christmas, so I'll ask her where she got them from. But you won't lose anything by trying to transplant them prior to getting them.

Thats true, maybe I will experiment tomorrow. I guess it will depend on how much root I can get out.

Thank you for finding out for me :wave:

Thank you - I will try transporting them to begin with and then if I cant get them to take I will buy some seeds instead.

Ta very much.

I should think they'll transplant fine considering how readily they regrow after being broken off. If not, wait until one flowers and when the flower starts looking a bit said, tie a fine mesh bag over it - bit of tights or net curtain, then when it turns into a seed head you can collect them before they blow away.

I should think they'll transplant fine considering how readily they regrow after being broken off. If not, wait until one flowers and when the flower starts looking a bit said, tie a fine mesh bag over it - bit of tights or net curtain, then when it turns into a seed head you can collect them before they blow away.

Brilliant, thanks for the tips! :D

they're a nightmare to transplant, well i haven't had much luck with transplanting anyway :oops:
you might be better off going for seed
mine are 99p for about 3,200 seeds
could you let me know how the transplanting goes if you do this - i'd love some tips :D

Yes no problem, I will let you know. :)

Or else I may try the seed saving later in the year.

Yours are a great price, but I'm not sure I would need 3,200 seeds would I? :shock::)

actually i made a mistake, there's 3,600 in a pack :shock: for 99p
no you prob wouldn't need all that this year but you could save some

That's great value! Not sure the 'rents would like their garden taken over by 'weeds' :roll::lol: How many pots do you think they would take up?

they're a nightmare to transplant, well i haven't had much luck with transplanting anyway :oops:
you might be better off going for seed
mine are 99p for about 3,200 seeds
could you let me know how the transplanting goes if you do this - i'd love some tips :D

this! i've tried transplanting. who would have thought such a rampant plant would be so sensitive about being moved.

if you're stuck, garden centres sell dandelion seeds...

I managed to get a good clump up with quite a chunky segment of root on it. Its in a pot now so we'll see how it does. Just noticed that one of the dandelion flowers has turned to clocks already as well, so following Tamsin's advice I have tied a plastic bag over it to see if I can get the seeds.

Do I need to dry them out or can I put them straight in to pots? And at what depth? Thanks :wave:

Oops just noticed it said a fine mesh bag not a plastic bag, hope this works as well, if not will try some old tights on the next lot to go to clocks -my neighbours will think I am mad.

Plastic bag might get a bit soggy inside but if it's almost ready to blow then it might but enough for the couple of days it needs. A paper bags best for seed collecting but not much good when it keeps raining!

I don't know about preparing dandelion, I guess they are pretty dry when realised so you could try them straight away. You should get enough seeds you can try drying them too.

Thanks Tamsin, yes I see what you mean, there will be a build up of condensation, I'm not sure how close to them blowing off it was either. Hmmmm might go back out with some tights!

Will just experiment and see how it goes! :wave:

The other thing would be to just blow at them gently a couple of times a day til you catch them just right and then pick the head. You'd loose a few seeds testing but so long as you don't blow too hard there should be enough to sow left. I'm sure it would be very entertaining for your neighbours too :lol:

The other thing would be to just blow at them gently a couple of times a day til you catch them just right and then pick the head. You'd loose a few seeds testing but so long as you don't blow too hard there should be enough to sow left. I'm sure it would be very entertaining for your neighbours too :lol:

:lol::lol:

Back