• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

'Maintaining' a virtually untreatable rabbit

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
If you have a rabbit that has a long term, chronic condition and is towards the end of the road, is not easy to handle anymore due to that condition and travelling is pretty much a definite no no, how do you deal with things like a sore hock? or lots of dry skin (potentially mites)?

I am doing my best for the sore hock by putting Sudocrem on, but that's about all I can do. For the dry skin I've not yet done anything because he's not itchy, or bothered, but I don't think its safe to treat him for mites (but it may not be mites because he always did get a dry skin when he moulted, just not on this level- his fur isn't falling out either).

Any ideas on what I should or shouldn't be doing?

My gut feeling is not to do much of anything, just beat the symptoms as they arise, but doing nothing goes against what I feel I should be doing.

I'm sorry, I dont know what to suggest. Except to say that you are doing what you think is in your bunny's best interests.

With the dry skin you could try aloe vera gel, I know it was suggested to me when Kenco had dry skin.

Thanks Helgalush. I've not considered aloe vera. What's it like when it touches the fur? is it safe to groom off? Was your bunny bothered by it?

We go through this quite a lot, and we have always said if something can't do any harm but may help, we'll give it a go. With Spice, a 19 year old cat she had hyperthyroidism and renal failure, she then developed an ear infection which caused a head tilt and her teeth began to bother her. We treated the head tilt with the usual meds, but because of her condition could not put her through a dental, instead we treated they symptoms by blending her food, feeding separately and giving antibiotic injections every 2 weeks. We also tried to support her system by giving anabolic steroid injections and multivitamin injections.
I guess what I'm trying to say, is that we don't really care about how they look at but try to keep them as comfortable as possible.
Sorry, don't know if this helps, it's hard to explain what I mean.

Thanks Halfpenny. That does make sense. :)

I don't really care what he looks like as long as his spirit is intake and he is comfortable. What concerns me more is that he may be distressed by something which may cause the dreaded mouth breathing (we get this most times I handle him but know it goes away if I put him back into a 'normal' standing position- his preference for being held is vertically, but he needs to sit horizontally- or if I put him down), or may take away his fight for life. Like, for example, the aloe vera gel sounds useable for his skin and a great idea, but if I put it on and it stings, then that's not going to be great for him, or if it feels wrong on his head or something, and he reacts badly.

I can provide different flooring for his feet (or try to), which is a positive thing to do, but I suspect he won't sit on it because he only sits on carpet. :lol::roll:

I would deffo treat for mites and sore hocks. Both treatments are, safe, non-invasive and easy to do at home :wave:

For mites I'd use spot-on ivermectin...and for sore hocks I'd use Dermagel and replace bedding with either vet bed or thick hay depending on the reason for the sore hocks.

What's dermagel?

I don't think he could take the spot on, to be honest, which is why I haven't yet done it (but I do have some here).

Truth be told, I'm scared of killing him.

What's dermagel?

I don't think he could take the spot on, to be honest, which is why I haven't yet done it (but I do have some here).

Truth be told, I'm scared of killing him.

Ivermectin is very safe. AFAIK it's only very young animals who shouldn't have it. I use it on my Winston who is about 12 years old and has multiple issues.

This is dermagel: http://www.dermagel.co.uk/
I find it good for sore hocks (although I know everyone has their own favourite products and methods of treating sore hocks). I get the pump gel (not the spray) and apply using cotton buds. Most equestrian suppliers stock it or you can buy online.

Thank you :D the sore hock is of most concern, so I'll start with dermagel and then use the Xeno if I need to. He's not itchy or bothered by it and its not flaking off and he's not going bald, so i'll use it if he seems to be bothered by it.

I've only had one rabbit react badly to ivermectin; usually it is easily tolerated so I would go ahead and use it.

I just had a twelve year old rabbit with skin so bad I had to shave him come in and two doses of ivermectin later his skin and coat are lovely and soft. He is still skinny, produces jelly poo, has ears full of pus and hates to be handled, but his skin is better. And he now has three bunny pals, the best treatment of all.

He has sore hocks too but hates to be pestered so I have just put the group in a stable with deep bedding to cushion them. He spends most of his time eating or snuggling, only hopping to find somebun to lay his head on or something to eat, so this works well for him.

When you know they haven't got much time left the priority needs to be their comfort. If a treatment will make them feel better go for it. If it will stress them too much you have to weigh up the balance, there can't be a set rule.

Back