• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur advice

minilops_99

Young Bun
I was given panacur for my baby rabbit last week as they suspect she may have some underlying issues as she leaves loads (and i mean loads) of cecotropes in her cage and they say it will help her stomach. Anyway...I knocked the liquid over yesterday and theres barely any left. I could just get some more from the vets but i would rather keep costs down so I've had a look online. The only one I've found for rabbits is a paste and for worming? Theres a liquid for cats and dogs but obviously I wouldnt want to give her that. Is the paste exactly the same just in another form?

The cat and dogs 10% liquid can be used as well, that's probably what your vet gave you, was the dose 0.2ml per kg? The rabbit paste is exactly the same but a bit easier to do for rabbits. If in doubt, get the paste :)

Yes, you can probably get it from Vet UK online but it's not usually more expensive from the vets for 1 rabbit especially when you add the Post and Packing.

Can I ask what you feed your rabbit on and the quantities as that is often what causes the problem you describe.

How old is your bun?

We think shes between 7 and 8 weeks. Long story, you may have seen on here or you may not. (Basically breeder sold her under false pretention that she was old enough but vets said she was definately younger. She gets unlimited pellets due to her age but no greens what so ever yet and unlimited timothy hay. In that case I may just get some more from the vets although I am ordering a couple of other stuff off vet uk for her (we've been advised to give her fibreplex too) so it may be worthwhile in that case!

Ah right, no sorry I haven't seen other threads.

Yes I guess they are very delicate when young and especially if they leave mum and their home environment too soon.

I understand the need for building her up but would just say that a lot of people find they have problems with Excel pellets so just wondered if you are using them.

The Fibreplex is a good idea.

Does she eat lots of hay?

Actually she is on excel junior nuggets. Do you suggest I slowly introduce her to something different? She hated the fibreplex at first but since shes seen my other rabbit occasionally have it shes goes crazy everytime she sees it!
She eats loads of hay shes so constantly munching!

That's great that she eats lots of hay :D

I wouldn't like to suggest making any changes without your vets permission or certainly the advice of someone more expericenced with young ones but I do know when pellets are discussed on her very often people say their rabbits have had tummy problems, messy bottoms etc. I have always used Science Selective but Oxbow are often recommended on here too as they are a high fibre pellet. In the main it is recommended to feed only an eggcupful of pellets per rabbit per day, again I understand why your rabbit needs more but wonder if, especially as she is having to eat more, the Excel could be causing a problem :?

It is best to make any changes very slowly with any rabbit, over at least a 2 week period.

Thats part of the reason she was put on panacur in the first place, i took her to the vets as she had a messy bottom which I hadn't experienced that bad before. I will speak to the vet tomorrow and discuss gradually changing her pellets. Thanks for the advice!

Back