• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What are the maximum meaurements?

Trixielover

Mama Doe
What is the maximum measurements of space for when a boy bun comes home from being neutered? :) Please can I have vibes for my little boy Domino?! :)

I always return our bunnies to their normal environment after a neuter. This helps them to settle quicker and aid recovery. If you are concerned about over exercising and hurting the wound, then I'd probably confine to the hutch or cage (if you have one) for a day or so just to be sure.

He is already a hutch bun. :? The hutch is 6ft wide and it's single with no run attched (though he and his wifeybun go in the run everyday :)) So now what do I do?!

I thought the concern was them jumping, which can damage the stitches. In which case it is not the size of the area that matters but whether theres any ledges etc to jump on/off.

My bun was kept in his cage from when he got back from neuter to the following morning, but then he was getting so stressed in his cage I had to let him out. So he had around 16x10ft. I put stuff on the sofa to dissuade him from jumping, but he didnt seem to want to anyway.

He's got a wifey bun so how should I seperate them? :?

You shouldn't need to do anything. Keep them in the hutch together unless you think he is going to be injured by her going at him or his stitches. Having his bonded friend with him will help recovery.

You don't need to change the space at all. Just leave him in his hutch to rest.

Why did you think you need to reduce his space?

You shouldn't need to do anything. Keep them in the hutch together unless you think he is going to be injured by her going at him or his stitches. Having his bonded friend with him will help recovery.

You don't need to change the space at all. Just leave him in his hutch to rest.

Why did you think you need to reduce his space?

Some people have been saying that they reduced his space because if he ran around alot, they will come undone :wave:

Some people have been saying that they reduced his space because if he ran around alot, they will come undone :wave:

Hopefully the vet will have used internal stitching and skin glue to stick the outside skin back together and the risk of injury is minor.

I'd not worry as it's unlikely that your boy will want to do much except sleep for the first 24 hours. Just don't let him out in the run for a good few days until the wound has had it's post op check by the vet.

There's no set way to do things, it is just what is best for the bunny.

With some of mine they need to go back in a familiar environment, exactly as the Duchess says, for others I bring them in to a small space (or inside for warmth), depending on their needs.

Its a case of you making an informed decision for what is best for your bunny.

When I'm had mine recover, I've just had them in a small cage for about 24 hours and that's been about it. But my vets don't stitch, so there is no risk of them coming undone.

With some of mine they need to go back in a familiar environment, exactly as the Duchess says, for others I bring them in to a small space (or inside for warmth), depending on their needs.

When I'm had mine recover, I've just had them in a small cage for about 24 hours and that's been about it. But my vets don't stitch, so there is no risk of them coming undone.

This.

It has to be about your bunny and how best he will deal with his neuter. Most rabbits like their own surroundings but you will need to do what's best for him. Warmth is a must for recovery for any animal so if you can provide warmth and comfort outside that's great, but if not then bring him if you can.

What size was the small cage? :wave:

What size was the small cage? :wave:

Its depended on the rabbit and situation. Like, where its been one of a trio then it has to be bigger than a small nethie. But I've used 4ft by 1ft, or 4ft by 2ft, in more recent years I've tended to use a hexagonal puppy pen or a wooden run (roughly 5ft by 3ft). Dog crates (48inch ones) have also been used.

Quite a variety really.

Back