• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vet Bed (we can't afford it this month, how about a pet blanket?)

Pebblesetc

Mama Doe
We think Buckley is allergic to her bedding (a few sneezes with no discharge and no change in appetite appear to indicate an allergy) and now that she has basically litter trained herself (aside from the odd territorial dropping) we were thinking of getting vet bed to line her base. I noticed some dust on the sides of her base (even though her bedding is dust extracted :evil:) so I want to get rid of the shavings ASAP to avoid complications etc.

Can anyone give more info i.e. how we use it, where we can get it for cheaps, how many times it can be reused, do we have to cut it to size, etc.

Thankies :)

Last edited:
You can buy it on ebay.

It easily cuts to size with scissors.

I can be washed up to 90c - Mines lasted me years.

I place mine on top a layer of newspaper.

You can buy it on ebay.
It easily cuts to size with scissors.

I can be washed up to 90c - Mines lasted me years.

I place mine on top a layer of newspaper.

This! It's very cheap on ebay.

I just bought a small piece from The Hay Experts for now though:wave:

We can't afford the vetbed this month, would a big fleecy blanket doubled over be ok? Or would she just try to eat it x

My two have blankets in their shed with no problems but watch out for her eating it, she may just dig it up though and sit on the bare base of her cage. This is what Beano did when she used to have a cage :roll:

Some of mine would some wouldn't chew it. If you are really worried about the dust levels just newspaper is fine with a litter tray full of hay.

For my respitory bunny I use auboise which is made from hemp or shreaded cardboard such as ecobed for extra absorbancy.

asda or £1land sell pet blankets for a quid! machine washable or old towels. Vet beds supposed to soak the pee up. We got ours off ebay aswell as I paid £20 at pets at home for tiny bit and £10 on ebay for big bit!

They don't 'need' something to cover the bottom. Bunsk and Belle just have the plastic base. Bunsk always hated anything I put in, blankets etc, and wee'd on them, moved them to the corner and lay of the plastic!

Mine have an assortment of old duvets, towels and posh fleece blankets so just old towels will do. My lionheads favourite places to sleep include an old plastic dog bed with nothing in it so they don't really need something soft but I like to provide it for them

An old bath towel (or a cheap one from Primark) would be ok. Of course you need to check for chewing but this is true of vetbed too. Folded fleece would be fine too. Or even a folded duvet cover. My two have folded large fleeces or bath towels to sit on in their hutches/enclosures otherwise the rest of the floor is covered with lino which they are happy to lie out on when its warm, they have litter trays full of hay which they snuggle in too.

Wash with non-bio wash powder IMO for all pets.

If you do use vet bed tie it in to an old pillowcase to wash it or the fluff will kill your washing machine!

Freecycle and charity shops are good places to get free or cheap towels/fleeces/baby blankets or fleeces.

An old bath towel (or a cheap one from Primark) would be ok. Of course you need to check for chewing but this is true of vetbed too. Folded fleece would be fine too. Or even a folded duvet cover. My two have folded large fleeces or bath towels to sit on in their hutches/enclosures otherwise the rest of the floor is covered with lino which they are happy to lie out on when its warm, they have litter trays full of hay which they snuggle in too.

Wash with non-bio wash powder IMO for all pets.

If you do use vet bed tie it in to an old pillowcase to wash it or the fluff will kill your washing machine!

Freecycle and charity shops are good places to get free or cheap towels/fleeces/baby blankets or fleeces.

I use the super sensitive stuff for babies with eczema (because I have super sensitive skin) would that be ok?

I use the super sensitive stuff for babies with eczema (because I have super sensitive skin) would that be ok?

I expect that is a non biological one - just check on the bottle/packet.

I know others who just wash in their normal heavy duty Bold 3 in 1 or whatever without problem but I have always stuck to non-bio for animals.

Mine have a pet blanket... It's been chewed and pee'd on!
I got it for when Charlie had sore hocks, otherwise its useless :lol: Well, apart from being cute and so soft!
Was helpful to wrap him up in after I'd treated his feet to stop him licking them though

If she eats towels I wouldn't bother buying vet bed!

Newspaper is usually ok for allergy sufferers or a paper or cardboard based bedding.

Back