• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

would it be cheaper?

jody

Alpha Buck
id like to attach a run to my buns hutch, does anyone know how much it would cost roughly to make my own ?
As i think i could build a bigger one for much less than buying one.:wave:

about 5-6 ft long

I'd imagine it would be cheaper to built a run! Chicken wire and pieces of lumber can be got pretty cheap. I'd estimate it would cost about £40 for a 6ft one if you have all the tools already.

Yes it's cheaper to make your own. Buy proper galvanised wire mesh from eBay 1inch x 1/2 inch 19guage. If you buy in bulk 30m rolls it's about £60. Then you need the timber which you can get from a local timber yard. If you make 6ft x 3ft panels you can easily make a run that is 6ft x 6ft x 3ft (high)

Its cheaper to make your own.... can't give you a cost coz my hubby did it!! Bought wood from B&Q and mesh from www.meshdirect.co.uk! I think the wood was £20 somthing and the mesh £30 something but he made a big avery style run for all that :)

We recently built a roughly 10x10 chicken run that is like four separate runs joined together.
We used £60 worth of wood, half a roll of mesh which cost £40, clear corrugated roofing material costing £75 plus a few screws, staples, hinges and bolts which came to another £10 or so. That was for a fairly elaborate run that could probably have been simpler. :oops:

Our rabbit run is roughly 8x7 I think - we used half a roll of galvanised mesh costing £35 (chicken wire is cheaper but rabbits can chew through it and it won't stop a fox) and recycled some wood we picked up for free! then there was just the cost of staples, hinges and bolts. Can be done very cheap!

Back