• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP! With the Hutch email I sent yesterday.

whitehood

Warren Veteran
Here's the exact message I sent to 3 hutch sellers on Gumtree, the hutches were too small and I wanted them to get the message.

"Hello I've just seen your ad on gumtree, and the hutch you are selling is too small even for the smallest breed of rabbit, the recommended size for a rabbit hutch is 6x2x2 feet.
The hutch should be long enough for the rabbit to make 3-4 hops side ways(6ft), stand up (2ft) and wide across to lay down (2ft)."

Someone replied back, - I don't understand it, can you help me to reply back-
"my hutch is bigger than the standard size hutch you find at the pet shop, have you sent this same email to the other sellers of hutches on gumtree because guaranteed their hutches are smaller than the one i have for sale."

I want to reply back saying this:
The recommended size for a hutch is 6x2x2 ft by the RSPCA, now is your hutch this size? If not it's clearly small[Can even the smallest breed of rabbit stand up in it? Is the hutch wide enough for a rabbit to lay down in without being squashed up? Is it long enough a rabbit can hop about 3/4 times sideways?
I have sent other hutch sellers on Gumtree a message too, I'm just trying to get an important point through.

Is there anything I could take out include ?

Last edited:
I need to write about Pet Shops too, as he's mentioned his hutch is bigger than their standard size, I'm not blaming him as if Processional people such as pet shops are producing and selling small hutches and someone normal makes a bigger one than the Pet shop one he/she will feel proud.
:wave:

You could agree that pet shop hutches are also small and say that this is somthing organisations such as the RWA are tackling (perhaps link to their campaign) Is the hutch big enough for guineas? Perhaps suggest they advertise like that if it is, be sure to keep you messages pleasant, you don't win anyone round by telling them off :D

Here's the reply I sent him
Hi,
I understand that your hutch may be bigger than hutches that Pet shops sell, their hutches are definitely small as the minimum size should be 6x2x2 feet, this is something that Rabbit Organisations are trying to tackle and prevent. Here is their website - http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/
You now know the recommended size of a hutch, you can help rabbit organisations by not selling your hutch, because if brought by someone their poor rabbit would have to suffer in a small cage, when they require a bigger hutch measuring 6x2x2 feet.
Thanks,

Back