• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tiny poos :(

esupi

Warren Veteran
I've noticed the last few days Truffle has had small poos. She quite often has spates of this lasting 1-2 days and then they go back to normal, so I haven't been too concerned (we've never been able to work out the cause).
However, this morning must be the third or fourth day and the poos have got even smaller - smaller than I've ever seen before - maybe only 1-2 mm across.

Otherwise, she is absolutely normal - eating fine, eating caecs as usual, running around driving everyone nuts as usual. It's just the poos.

No major changes to her life, except increased time outside this weekend, but we have built up to that so it's not a sudden change to her diet.

Any ideas what might cause it? How concerned should I be? Is there anything I can do to get them back to normal again?

You need to keep a close eye and really up the hydration.

Give her a bowl, if she normally has a bottle. Change it as regularly as possible.

If you can, provide a second bowl and lace it with something rabbit safe that may appeal, that you are confident her tummy can take (something like peppermint infusions or chamomile infusion, or some freshly squeezed juice- but use that with caution because the sugar can upset the gut more).

If she gets fresh food then soak it in loads of water and don't shake off the water afterwards.

Also, maybe try a probiotic like bio-lapis or fibreplex if you can.

Hopefully with some hydration to the gut, it will increase the poo size and sort whatever the problem is.

Thanks Sky-O. She actually has a bowl and a bottle - she drinks from the bowl but I think she only uses the bottle becuase she likes the noise it makes!

She loves pineapple juice, but will only take it from a syringe - i've never tried it in her water though so will give that a go.

Are bio-lapis and fibreplex from the vet?

Is dehydration likely to be the issue? I haven't noticed her drinking less than usual - could she be more dehydrated through all the running around outside recently?

I'm at work now but will go home at lunch to check on her - are there any other signs I should be on the lookout for?

Pixie has small poops at this time if year, I think it starts when her moult starts. As soon as I spot a small one I give her Fibre Plex paste on a basil leaf for a couple of days and also increase her water. This seems to work a treat for her but all buns are different so best keep an eye on your one.:wave:

Thanks silly 'bunny mummy'. Just Googled Fibreplex and I actually think we might have some at home from when they were spayed. Do you know how long it lasts (it'll be about 18 months old now!)?
Can I get it from a pet shop or is it just from the vets?

If it is a new unopened tube I would have thought it would be ok but bestvto check before you give it to her.
If it has been open for that long I wouldnt use it. You can by it from the vets or vetuk online.

Thanks silly 'bunny mummy'. Just Googled Fibreplex and I actually think we might have some at home from when they were spayed. Do you know how long it lasts (it'll be about 18 months old now!)?
Can I get it from a pet shop or is it just from the vets?

If I were you I'd get a new one. I get mine from Vet Uk or you can get it from your local vets :D

There's been a few threads lately about smaller darker poos and it's often put down to increased time outside (on grass). Not a bad idea to watch out for other signs though. Hope all is well x

Just came home to check on her and while I've been sat here she has passed the BIGGEST bunch of caecotrophs I have ever seen - typical 'bunch of grapes' but must be maybe 1 cm thick and about 4 cm long! She has NOT eaten it. Any thoughts?

She hasn't stopped eating - she was scoffing hay when I left! Just didn't eat the massive poo!
She seems quiet at the moment, but that's normal for this time of day.
I got some Fibreplex on the way and she took that with no problem, and I've added some mint infusion to a bowl of water, so will see how she is again in a couple of hours I think.

Thanks everyone for your advice so far.

If she's otherwise fine in herself, do you think it could be the result of a diet change due to extra grass from being out? It certainly affected my two.

I did think that initially, but then we didn't just chuck her outside this weekend - we've been putting her out in the evenings for a couple of weeks now - initially just for 20 minutes and building up to over an hour. They were out longer this weekend so she willl have eaten more grass I guess.

Btw Grin I love your new profile pic!

Its very possible she got interrupted or something when producing it.

Grin is very right about grass making the poos smaller and darker, but that nt being a problem, so hopefully its that.

I would keep a close eye on her diet and behaviour (which you're obviously diong), but hopefully it will settle.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice. Poos are now getting bigger so hopefully back to normal soon.

She's so funny with the Fibreplex - absolutely loves it and keeps sucking at it to try to get more out! Mint-infused water also seemed to go down well.

Thanks again!

Back