• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Blue eyes/vision?

beckie20

Mama Doe
I went into PAH today (I know, I know :roll::oops:) and saw a beautiful blue eyed White rabbit in the adoption bit, I just wondered if their vision can be as bad as REWs?

Her name is bella, and her old owners couldn't look after her anymore supposedly, and she did a bit of head swaying/scanning while I was watching her. In certain lights, her pupils looked red, as in albino red, not bloodshot red.

She was a happy-looking little bunny, munching on hay, and She flopped out right in front of me :love:

They don't have the same 'reputation' for bad eye sight as REWs but their eyes are definitely different. My two BEWs are very sensitive to the sun with their eyes.

If you look at BEW bunnies often their eyes have a ruby glow, so they will be the ones more likely to suffer with the problems associated with REWs. And, having reread what you said, you clearly noticed this. Chances are she has REW in her genetics.

I had a friend with a blue-eyed white bunny and as far as I know there were never any sight problems.

sue :wave:

Last edited:
BEW/REW/PEW and those born to litters with them in ( so I have read and experienced) can all have varying sight problems ( and hearing problems in the case of the whites too)

Belle (BEW)sticks close to Frank,and he acts as a guide bunny. I don't move things around too much as I don't want to confuse her. I can end up startling her, but making noise on appraoch

Arthur (rew) scans in wide areas, he can be shocked if you come up too quickly so I make a lot of noise on approach. Again Isla made him more comfortable with his poor sight. He seems to be affected on bright days and almost walks around with his eyes closed. on dull days his eyes look better.

Sophie was born into a litter with three PEW, and she also scans, but nothing like the white bunnies.

If you look at BEW bunnies often their eyes have a ruby glow, so they will be the ones more likely to suffer with the problems associated with REWs. And, having reread what you said, you clearly noticed this. Chances are she has REW in her genetics.

I'm glad that she just has poorer vision than normal as opposed to something being wrong with her.

My BEW is deaf, and I think he also haas some sort of sight problem. He has difficulty finding food sometimes and if you move too fast or drop anything he charges/lunges, assuming it is food. He'll also assume your hand is food if he can smell it on you. Most of this is probably partly due to his earlier food aggression though. It doesnt seem to affect his everyday life at all, just means occasionally I get a nip if he doesnt realise in time.

I was told that BEW animals in general often have hearing or sight problems.

Back