• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Somebody talk some sense into me!!

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
I've been feeding Ben and Lol extra over the winter and I know I need to cut them down but they love their food and I cant bring myself to give them less. They'll be putting on weight and I don't want that. Is anyone else thinking of cutting the buns down after the winter feed up? :wave:

Mine only had extra when the weather was really cold.

Remember that giving them extra food is 'over loving' them and not actually beneficial for them.

I've gradually started cutting the Boys down in the past few days :wave:

They get a small handful of spring greens and a ring of carrot with an eggcup of pellets each in the morning.

An eggcup each at about 5pm

Dried herbs, fresh herbs, a sprinkling of dried apple and carrot chunks and a small sprinkling of pellets in the evening. How does that compare with yours. They also eat loads of hay and when they're out they nom the grass.

Mine only had extra when the weather was really cold.

Remember that giving them extra food is 'over loving' them and not actually beneficial for them.

You're right and I def do love them!! I need to love them enough to reduce their food don't I?!

Definately! I always let mine put a bit extra on over the winter, but now is the time to gradually cut them down again.

BB has a face (and a demanding nature) that I can't resist, and she ended up at over 7kg - I was so ashamed when she got her weigh in.
Tonight though she has been reweighed at the vets and has lost nearly 700g (now 6.3kg), and looks so much better for it.

I now just have to resist her and remember that it's not in her interest to get an extra bedtime treat - it just made me feel good, not her!

Definately! I always let mine put a bit extra on over the winter, but now is the time to gradually cut them down again.

BB has a face (and a demanding nature) that I can't resist, and she ended up at over 7kg - I was so ashamed when she got her weigh in.
Tonight though she has been reweighed at the vets and has lost nearly 700g (now 6.3kg), and looks so much better for it.

I now just have to resist her and remember that it's not in her interest to get an extra bedtime treat - it just made me feel good, not her!

I def will start cutting them down now. They just love their feeding times. They go and sit outside their shed door or in the shed looking out when they decide it's time for their snack. No running around, no exploring - just "right mum, we're ready to go in now for our snack. Give us our snack and lock the door behind you on your way out!" :lol::roll:

They get a small handful of spring greens and a ring of carrot with an eggcup of pellets each in the morning.

An eggcup each at about 5pm

Dried herbs, fresh herbs, a sprinkling of dried apple and carrot chunks and a small sprinkling of pellets in the evening. How does that compare with yours. They also eat loads of hay and when they're out they nom the grass.

Spenser gets about the same. :wave: He doesn't eat carrot or dried herbs (dried dandelion and plantain though). He doesn't eat loads of hay, although more than before. Mini-lops are very active little bunnies, so unless they look or feel overweight I wouldn't worry too much.

I know how much you love them :)

Could you work on stimulating them in a different way? Or maybe feeding them in a different way? Or giving hay as a treat at the same time you give them food?

Remember, its a good thing to reduce it down :)

Spenser gets about the same. :wave: He doesn't eat carrot or dried herbs (dried dandelion and plantain though). He doesn't eat loads of hay, although more than before. Mini-lops are very active little bunnies, so unless they look or feel overweight I wouldn't worry too much.

They're due their myxi jabs soon so I'll get the vet to weigh them for me and give me some advice as to what they should feel like. I think they are def looking a little more rotund than they used to. ( a little like myself - she says thinking about toast and butter!!)

I actually find that Spenser is more likely to nom a fresh handful of green oat hay than pellets as long as I put it down right in front of his nose. He's a lazy eater though, so scatter feeding has never been a great success.

They go and sit outside their shed door or in the shed looking out when they decide it's time for their snack. No running around, no exploring - just "right mum, we're ready to go in now for our snack. Give us our snack and lock the door behind you on your way out!" :lol::roll:

Yep, they have us well sussed out:lol::lol:

So hard though to resist those poor starved faces isn't it!

They're due their myxi jabs soon so I'll get the vet to weigh them for me and give me some advice as to what they should feel like. I think they are def looking a little more rotund than they used to. ( a little like myself - she says thinking about toast and butter!!)

Their ribs should feel like a packet of pens (gospel according to an article called 'body scoring your rabbit' in a RWA magazine).

I know how much you love them :)

Could you work on stimulating them in a different way? Or maybe feeding them in a different way? Or giving hay as a treat at the same time you give them food?

Remember, its a good thing to reduce it down :)

Well - their night time snack is really unnecessary. I only started that when I started locking them in the shed at night after Lola had her little 'chill' scare. The vet said that buns need to eat more in the winter to keep their metabolism up. The babies liked this idea of 'supper time' and incorporated it into their routine with great glee!! I could just give the dried and fresh herbs and cut out the extra burges and dried apple and carrot - (their favourite bits!) Oh this is gonna kill me tonight! They'll look all disappointed!:cry:

Well - their night time snack is really unnecessary. I only started that when I started locking them in the shed at night after Lola had her little 'chill' scare. The vet said that buns need to eat more in the winter to keep their metabolism up. The babies liked this idea of 'supper time' and incorporated it into their routine with great glee!! I could just give the dried and fresh herbs and cut out the extra burges and dried apple and carrot - (their favourite bits!) Oh this is gonna kill me tonight! They'll look all disappointed!:cry:

I don't cut out any 'meals', just cut them down in size :)

Their ribs should feel like a packet of pens (gospel according to an article called 'body scoring your rabbit' in a RWA magazine).

Oh, OK, I'll go rib-feeling tonight then. Gonna go let them out for their evening romp and they'll let me know when it's shed-time - minus the pellets and dried carrot and apple!

I agree with Blackberry about not cutting out meals, just cutting them down. My nethies get two pellets a day (how harsh am I :lol:) and the rest is hay and grass with some herbs for some. They get their pellets one in the morning, and one in the evening. It tells me if they are eating and acting normal and in the old weather I increase them to small handfuls in the morning and evenings and then reduce down again. Because I feed hay at the same time they eat their pellet and then go uts for the hay. They have great poo. :thumb: :lol:

I agree with Blackberry about not cutting out meals, just cutting them down. My nethies get two pellets a day (how harsh am I :lol:) and the rest is hay and grass with some herbs for some. They get their pellets one in the morning, and one in the evening. It tells me if they are eating and acting normal and in the old weather I increase them to small handfuls in the morning and evenings and then reduce down again. Because I feed hay at the same time they eat their pellet and then go uts for the hay. They have great poo. :thumb: :lol:

Lola & Benson - a pellet A PELLET!!!??? Don't even think about it mother!!! Get our eggcup out!! :lol:

Hmmm - I suppose I could cut down the pellets in the am and pm and still give them a smaller supper that they like with their tasty snacks at night. Maybe I'll do that then. :D

Rightly or wrongly I have no intention of cutting out Spenser's night time treat. Bunnies like routine, if you're looking for an excuse.;)

Back