• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Range - big enough?

The RWA suggest that a rabbit needs a 6ft by 2ft hutch with a 6ft by 8 ft run attached.

Those hutches are too small unless they were to be used as a base in a large enclosure or shed, or similar.

Neither are suitable for keeping rabbits - they really ought not to be showing them with pictures of rabbits on their details. Dreadful.

I don't like like Lazybones as a make - the timber is not very good quality and very lightweight, and they are just not made with rabbit welfare in mind.

I wasn't tempted to buy either of them, just wanted to check what people thought. It's a shame they put pictures of rabbits on the front as I wouldn't be happy putting bun in one like that and I'm sure he wouldn't be happy either!

I emailed The Range recently regarding a coffin they were selling as a rabbit hutch. I received a bog-standard reply stating they complied with Government guidelines blah blah blah.

When I sent an email back stating I would no longer shop there due to their complete lack of basic animal care, they didn't respond. Surprised? Nope :evil:

And checking those links, it wasn't either of those hutches. I'd say it was approx 2ft, with a picture of a rabbit on the side. :cry:

Last edited:
My first hutch/run was the bottom of the 2 links, that was when I got my first bun :oops:... it is now used for 2 guineas instead!

I've been sending emails backwards and forwards to The Range about their hutches for the last few weeks. When pressed, they revealed that the guidelines they follow are Defra's guidelines for housing meat rabbits :cry: which, although horrible to think about, is housing intended for short-term use. Not for animals that live 10 years +. To be honest, their attitude about the whole thing totally sucks :evil:

I have a big Lazy Bones hutch for my ferrets.
The top one I also have in my shed,empty waiting for the summer.I will put it in my 8 ft run for the nethies who are indoors.

Perhaps it needs lots of us all writing/emailing at the same time to make our point (like we did with Argos)?

Polite letters, stating facts, not being rude or aggressive and received in large quantities might make them take notice :)

Who's up for it?

Perhaps it needs lots of us all writing/emailing at the same time to make our point (like we did with Argos)?

Polite letters, stating facts, not being rude or aggressive and received in large quantities might make them take notice :)

Who's up for it?

I think that would have more effect! I know the RWA have been in contact with them too and they said they might start a campaign and ask for people to do this.

If anyone wants to read the emails I sent The Range and the responses I had back, PM me - I won't add them to the thread as it would be too long.

I've been sending emails backwards and forwards to The Range about their hutches for the last few weeks. When pressed, they revealed that the guidelines they follow are Defra's guidelines for housing meat rabbits :cry: which, although horrible to think about, is housing intended for short-term use. Not for animals that live 10 years +. To be honest, their attitude about the whole thing totally sucks :evil:

That's disgusting! :evil:

In my first email to them, I referred them to both the RSPCA's guidelines and the RWAF's campaign "A Hutch is Not Enough". I was very polite in the email and stated my concerns about their customers not being aware of the requirements and that as a company, they could help inform them.

I also stated that the hutch in question was smaller than one of the indoor cages I'd purchased from them, which I only use as a hospital cage when I'm trying to restrict movement.

I really thought maybe someone there might actually look at the hutch in question and the RWAF's website, silly me :roll:

In my second email I said I was disappointed with their lack of animal care and that I would boycott them, as I do with p@h and Jollyes.

Maybe I should have said they'd make a lot more money if they just sold massive hutches as they only seem to care about the dosh.

Lazybones are not big enough for rabbits but if you go into the actual range store they have cheaper hutches that are twice as big .:D

Back