• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit travelling...?

What is the longest you have travelled with your bun, and what did you do to make it comfy for them?
I soon have to take Penelope on a 2/3 hour drive as I am moving cities, and wondered what I could do to make it as stressless as possible.

About a 2 hour drive when we moved. We put the back seats down and put their indoor hutch in, with all their food and water. They still hated the journey. However, the chinchillas fell asleep in the pet carrier.

About 4 hours with a single rabbit. I was lucky in that she was the kind of bun I could put a towel over my knee and sit her on it, she remained calm the whole way there, occasionally looking up and around and stretching.

She refused all food and water while in the car though, so we decided to travel straight through and not stop for a break so she could get into her new home quicker and settled in and eat/drink.

I did a 2hr 15min journey that once turned into a 4hr 30min journey with Sky or Flash- I can't remember who. Probably Flash.

Both of them were seasoned travellers and just bedded down and went to sleep whenever we travelled and we used to do it a lot from my parents home, to my home. It helped us bond really well because no matter where we were, I was always there.

I've had some that just don't travel well at all. I was lucky with them.

7 hours with my two when I see my parents. I have a fairly large cat carrier. I put a door mat in the bottom with a rubber bottom so there is no way they can slide about. I find even cushions and fleeces/towels slide about. Then I bring them a packed lunch of oats, veg and fruit, but they usually sleep most of the way.

Piccies here.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=247957

I did a 3 hour journey once with Peanut. I asked on here for advice too. I had her in a carrier, not too big as they have to feel secure but they should have enough room to lie down properly. I put vet bed at the bottom in case she wanted to go to the loo and I put hay in a cardboard loo roll for her.

Most buns won't eat or drink whilst travelling so we stopped twice on the journey and made sure she ate some hay and handed her the water bottle to drink from. We didn't leave the service station until she'd eaten and drunk something. Also, don't attach the bottle to the carrier as it may spill and drip everywhere. Oh, I also put a blanket over the carrier as well to stop the motorway lights disturbing her.

Think that was all the advice I was given and the journey went really well, just keep an eye on them during and after the journey and you should be fine.

Hope this helps :D

I havent done much yet but I will be going on an 2hr drive with 4 buns all i do is make sure they have everything they need:travel bottles hay and newspaper they should be fine

I took ear to cornwall on holiday 3-4 hour journey. He was fine after about 30 mins....when he realised he wasnt going to the vets

How long had you guys had your buns before you travelled with them? How old were they when you travelled with them?

When I went to pick up Sergeant and Pepper for the first time it took around two hours to get home I think, on two trains, a bus and walking at both ends. Luckily they were a bit lighter then!

How long had you guys had your buns before you travelled with them? How old were they when you travelled with them?

Peanut was about 6 months old and I'd had her just over 4 months I think, I can't remember exactly when we did the journey so it's a rough guess.

It's best if they've done a few car journeys before, like vets trips etc as they will be used to it. If they haven't, someone suggested to me that taking them on a couple of short car journeys before the big trip may help them to get used to it.

Thanks for the tips guys, I just want to make it as easy as possible, as currently she hates it in the car because she thinks we're going to the vets. She thumps against her carrier and grunts, although from when we get the carrier out it is major stressful, she darts away and hides in a cranny where we can't reach her :shock: !
That's why I wanted tips on how to make it less stressy :)

Pebbles - Penelope first travelled at 12 weeks, from the breeders, which was a 10 min drive.
However, she hadn't been out in the car since till last fortnight when she went to be spayed, she had just turned 8 months. :D

Almost 4 hours with mine when I moved house - put them in large carriers, with a cosy blanket and a bottle of water. Gave them a nibble when we stopped at services, just to keep up morale :lol:

I think most important was that it was two bonded pairs, so each rabbit had another for support, made it much less stressful.

I won't count bringing Jenson home or trips to the vet because short journeys.

When he was about five months, nearly six (as far as I know) I took Jenson to my parents for Christmas. He was fine and settled in quick at my parents house (but then I did take almost his whole set up with me - he's an indoor bun and about 8 or 9 months old now).
He wasn't too sure to start with last time (a couple of weeks ago) but settled down once we got on the motorway, which is only a couple of miles away.

So he copes fine with 1.30 to 2 hours. I always put hay in with him and have food and water in the car in case I get stuck in traffic. I also find letting him investigate (play) with his carrier every so often helps too.

I like to strap his carrier into the front seat so I can talk to him during the journey as I think that a familar voice and being able to see me helps. (or maybe I'm just soft). I think he mostly dozes.

Most of my rabbits have done 4\5 hour journeys, they're all very much used to cars though and were perfectly settled. Start off getting your rabbit used to the carrier, put it in the run and let the rabbit go in it at its own will, you can use food etc., then try containing them in the carrier for short ammounts of time, eventually you can start with very small journeys, gradually building up the duration

Last edited:
Pie has done quite a few 1 hour drives but when I went to pick up Oberon she was in the car about 3 1/2 hours.
She is a good traveler but also doesn't drink or eat while in the car. Oberon doesn't travel well at all, he gets very scared and goes very quiet (but soon eats and drinks when back home). But you can't really blame him as he has only been in a car 3 times - on way to the vets and back and then the massive 3 hour drive form the rescue to home! Bless him! :love:

Thanks for the advice so far, I think my main worry was what to about her food and water, I didn't want her to not drink/eat! Though it seems most of your bunnies don't tend to eat on journeys anyway.
Am hoping we can fit her cage in the back so she can at least be in her home, I just don't know how i would stop it moving around, or the things in it moving!
Any ideas...or just cushions?
:)

Back