• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hutch and under run v aviary

beki

Mama Doe
i had my heart set on an aviary. Our patio has collapsed so we have got to dig it out flatter, good for putting an aviary on as it won't be as raised up as it was before. Bunnies currently have a double hutch, not a big one, about 4.5 x 2.5 foot and i had planned to put this in the aviary. The aviary would be hopefully up to about 6x9 foot but this involves us digging away a lot of the patio and rebuilding a wall, minimum size will be 6x7 foot. with the hutch inside.

My boyfriend is having second thoughts about the aviary as he said it would be too imposing, we have a narrow garden, but he is in agreement that the bunnies need full run access when we are out, which they currently don't get, they are only in the run or the house, when i am home, a secure run or aviary would be better.

I wondered about a hutch and run combo and found this one - http://www.the-rabbit-hutch-shop.com/6ft-5-x-2ft-5-rabbit-hutch-with-a-6ft-x-8ft-run.html

would this be any better or more space than a hutch and aviary? if i got an aviary i would keep their existing hutch at least for the time being, with a hope to get a bigger one at a later date. they would be shut in the hutch overnight regardless and i feel that a 2 storey one, even though it is a small two storey one, is better for this. What are people's views? i think i can make an aviary more secure than a hutch and run but a hutch and run would look much neater.....

also, does anyone have any pictures or suggestions where I could get a bigger hutch and run combo? i would have about £300 to spent.

thanks

That hutch looks very good, it's an excellent size. One advantage of having a hutch on top of a run is that to feed them you don't have to go constantly in and out of the aviary, you can just open the hutch and pop it in. Although I'm not sure how that works with the hutch shown in the picture, I would put the hutch facing the other way.

You could also consider using aviary panels to make a 3ft high run. I think rabbits prefer a run that is 3ft high as it makes them feel more secure.

Back