• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

does anyone grow flowers for the bunnies to eat?

How much space do you have?

There are lots you can grow and feed bits to rabbits. Most 'flowers' are a bit limited in size or what parts you can feed to bunnies but there are some nice veggies/herbs that look good and flower nicely but provide a bit more of a snack. For example, if you let purple sprouting broccoli flower instead of picking it, then its absolutely covered in bright yellow flowers and you can feed the leaves/stems to bunnies when it's done. Strawberries are a good one, smallish white flowers that look pretty and bunnies can eat the leaves and the fruit (or you can).

thank you. i'll save that. :)

How much space do you have?

There are lots you can grow and feed bits to rabbits. Most 'flowers' are a bit limited in size or what parts you can feed to bunnies but there are some nice veggies/herbs that look good and flower nicely but provide a bit more of a snack. For example, if you let purple sprouting broccoli flower instead of picking it, then its absolutely covered in bright yellow flowers and you can feed the leaves/stems to bunnies when it's done. Strawberries are a good one, smallish white flowers that look pretty and bunnies can eat the leaves and the fruit (or you can).

not much space to be honest. i'm planting alot of herbs hopefully which will take up most of the space we've got.

i was going to put some flowers in hanging baskets. i thought lavender as it repels flies. but thought some other flowers might be nice with it.

thanks for the ideas :)

nasturcians (cant spell it) are good for them becuase they look pretty, they are edible for buns ANDedible for peoples in a salad! you can eat the flowers too :) it tastes like rocket salad

we are just starting to set our garden up for bunny food.

weve bought two apple trees, two rose bushes, a lavenadar, some herbs and we have also got some seeds for veg to grow.

be a couple of years to get it right but one day we will be totally self sufficient for bunny treats and veg :D

I've just sown my bunny seeds :D

So far there's nasturtiums, love in a mist, sunflowers, calendula and runner beans.

They also have their parsely pot, and lots of new strawberry plants.

I have just planted pots with lavender, pansies and marigolds to try and add a bit of colour to the garden that the buns can eat. I also have rasp canes, mixed salad leaf seeds, lots of herbs and strawberry plants. :wave:

I didnt think they could eat love in a mist?? I know its good for repelling flies though!

I grew it around the aviary last year to repel flies, and Blackie was constantly pulling it in to eat :roll: I found somewhere eventually that said it was safe, but I can't remember where :oops:

ooh, lots of ideas, thank you :D

i've just been looking on rabbit-nutrition on ebay aswell and that's all rabbit friendly plants so i might get a few from there aswell.

you know when things are listed as safe - does that mean safe if they happen to eat some, or safe as in you can feed it regularly?

i feed bisc and matt a plate of dried herbs in the morning and they have fresh herbs at tea time, but i would love to grow weeds and flowers to feed them at another point in the day, just for something different. :)

I wasn't sure if they could have pansy's. But i know mine enjoy the pot full of dandilions, brambles, strawberrys, sunflowers and marigolds. I grow them more for the buns then for me:lol:.

I've got some strawberries, sunflowers and lavenders that I am growing from seed, some herbs from last year and some now ones to sow as well, and I'm hoping to get some lovage, camomile, calendula, violas, asters and geraniums to grow from seed too.

When the weather is warmer and the border is properly dug over, I'm hoping to get some helenium plants, as these are hard to grow from seed (although they all are if you are me!).

Roses are good. My picky buns love rose petals and they also are good for humans and easy to grow :D

i can't wait to get some plants now, and some herbs aswell. lets hope i can actually grow them, i'm useless usually. :lol:

Back